Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 hp twin brigges runs hot and quit

Les

Dont know for sure if its the same problem, and I cant explain it, but on my 12 HP Briggs I have to change the fuel line every other year. If I dont it will run for a while and then quit, after cool down it would start again. It really threw me at first, by process of elimination I found it was the fuel line. I have been told I need to rebuild the carb but this has been going on since 1992!

Hi Steve, It could be lacking fuel like Les say's for sure. But I would check out the coil to. Sounds like its getting hot and skipping a heart beat or two. Pretty soon it may just up and have a heart attack and die completely on you. I was told once there is not really any sure way to check them out. But sometimes I don't always beleive everything I am told. If it turns out to be the coil the new one I think comes complete with new plug wires even. I beleive a new one is about $65 or there abouts. Ok now any other takers on this one? Best of Luck fellow member Jackl

Steve,

Had same problem with a Kohler when I lost two access hole plugs. Another small part of the cooling shroud was already missing. Duct tape over the 3 sq inch missing section and two 1" diameter holes solved it.
Red Green's got nothing on me when it comes to duct tape!!

Stan

I would bet on the coil. Briggs had a problem with some of these. If you cna check the spark when it quits it will tell you for sure. My experence is this is a good guess. The part number for the coil is 394891 and the list is $45.55. This is the eletronic coil with wires and ends ready to install. Just remove the top shroud and there is sets. Install and adjust the gap to .010 and you are ready to run. Hope this helps.

Steve, On some 16hp engs. the factory put a piece of foam pipe insulating material to stop vapor lock[boiling of gas] on fuel line around hot eng area, maybe this if yours dosen't have it will help. Check when this happens if you still have spark. This will tell if problem could be coil assy. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth, good luck! dlc

Steve, Glad to hear I actually helped you fix your problem rahter than just giving B.S. Take Care! dlc