Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
patrician12

kohler rods

patrician12
When looking to buy another a/c or simplicity used it seems to me that the kohler motors throw rods.The tractors I saw,either the kohler was rebuilt or needs to be rebuilt.Why do you think this condition exists?On my own Kohler 12hp the rod went twice in 4 years.

Dutch
The KT series had some problems, but the K series seem reliable. 2 rods in 4 years? How many hours? Sounds like something wasn't right to begin with, or engine over-revved, or run low on oil.

dvogt
The KT series I was real bad with breaking rods. they pressure feed the cam then let the run off from the cam run down to lube the rods. cutting on side hills just killed them . John Deere quit using Kohlers & switched to Onans because Kohler had so many problems and at first did not want to stand behind them. the series II they preassure feed the rods. The single cyl. K series use's a cast crank. they tend to wear out of round most people don't check them at a rebuild , the rod they use is not the greatest rod in the world either. there are not to many people in the world that maintain there garden tractors very well as far as oil changes go. a nice rod to use is the forged rod out of the K361 , it is a heavier rod than the ones used in the K241,301,341,321 , but you would want to balence the rotating assembly if you put one of these in.

patrician12
Yes the motor was a K321 and most of the single cylinder Kohlers I looked at had at one time the same problem.Oil is changed with sae 30 Mobil delvac every 20 hours.Same routine on the 3 other tractors I have with Briggs engines and one with a Tecumseh and they never had any internal or oil consumption problems.