Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
roneil

1968 Sovereign 3012

roneil
I just bought a home and along with the modern rider, I inherited a 3012. As far as I can tell it is a 1968, as that is the catalog the owner left with the parts manual (tractor $973.00 & 48" mower $197.00). The mower deck is long gone, but I still have the 42" snow thrower, dump cart, grader blade and dozer blade/plow. The owner was elderly and hadn't used the machine in about 8 years but it seems to be in good shape. He stated that it needs points, but the points look okay, they are just not being activated by the "plunger" rod behind them and I cannot see any movement of the rod. Is this an adjustment or is something more serious? I'd love to bring this tractor back if only for utility and snow use. Was the 12 HP Briggs enough of a motor to drive that size thrower? I've been on the board about a month, but only now getting some time free to work on this project. Any and all help will be appreciated, I also have the 68 full line catalog and will scan or send it to whomever might be interested in posting it somewhere. Thanks, Bob

JimV
Hi Bob, I have a 68 3012 with hydraulic lift and Vari speed transmission. I can tell you that the 12 hp briggs will move that blower no prolem. as far as the points plunger goes I would check the dyi / tech section that the club has. I know they make an electronic ignition that will replace the points system. good luck with it. BTW the grader blade is pretty rare so hang onto it. Jim V.

ReedS
Welcome to the club. I agree w Jim that 12hp is plenty to work with. A lot of us are running 10hp which is just fine as well. The plunger rod could be frozen from disuse. I would check to see if needs to be freed up. If all else fails there an electronic ign as jim says that will replace the points altogether. Good Luck

jack1747
Bob, It could be just an adjustment. The points could be so far out that the rod is not pushing against them. The rod only moves about .018". If the point are way out the rod may not be against the cam. If you push the rod in as much as posiable and turn the engine by hand you should feel the rod move. The rod its self maybe worn. Jack

thedaddycat
I have the 1967 2012 that I'm restoring that has been converted to the Magnetron ignition. I would like to go back to the original ignition if you would like to trade your points/coil ignition for it.

dirtsaver
Welcome to the club Bob. I have a 3012 I am bringing back to life that sat for several years like yours did. When I cleaned up the engine it would not fire so I found a coil with the electronic ignition and bypassed the points system. It works great but takes a stronger battery to fire due to more RPMs required to produce the proper spark. I left the point system on the tractor in case I ever want to go back. Enjoy the orange Bob. Larry

JohnInMI
I agree with Jim V the center grader blade is quite rare and I've seen it sell for more than what I've got to pay for it. You should be able to find a mower deck for it by this spring. Check out the classifieds and or post a want ad for one. I've been very lucky in finding stuff there so far (snowblower and now tire chains). If you have a right and a left lift mechanism you should be able to run your grader blade and snowthrower at the same time.

roma3112
Welcome to the club Bob! It is nice to finally get some more members from the massachusetts area on board. As far as the points goes i agree that you should check the rod to see if it is stuck or way out of adjustment. I would try to stick to the points even if you need to replace them to get her running, i converted my 69 3112h to mabnetron and had nothing but problems, the engine indeed does need to spin faster in order to start, and that was just one of the problems i had. I went back to points and the thing starts with 1/2 revolution of the engine almost :) if i can find the ling to my poats on the magnetron i will post them here. good luck john b

roneil
:IGot her fired up. New set of points and condenser. Motor sounds Very strong. Drove from he shed to garage and changed oil. Now it's time to hit all of the grease points and replace the gear oil. Next task is to get the 42" thrower lubed and into service. I'll be looking for guidance for a whole new batch of issues... Thanks for your help, Bob

Kent
Kirk, I have a 10HP 243431 with a point system that was in my Big 10 I'd swap for your Magnetron setup, if you're interested... mine was blowing so much oil that it would soak the points, and I put the 10 HP replacement engine in it that came out of my B-210 when I upgraded it to 16HP. Kent

roneil
Are there any concerns with using unleaded gasoline in a 34 year old engine? I remember hearing a long time ago about valve lubrication or something. Are todays fuels ok to use without any additives? Got the snowthrower hooked up and she runs great, all I need now is some snow instead of this sub freezing, never ending cold.

Kent
I don't think there's any problem at all. If anything, it'll burn cleaner. The lead in the gas was for lubricating valve stems and to boost the octane. Burn 87 or 89 octane regular in it... not premium. My 2 cents.