Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Gasoline WARNING!!!!!!!

MPH
Filled the 4040 with gas tonite while I had it outside. Filled to the bottom of the neck, ran a couple min., then parked it inside. Started smellinf gas in the house about an hour later, upon checking it out the 4040 was now running over. The gas was sitting outside at about zero, the shop is about 60. One of them thermal expansion things we all need to keep in mind..MPH

vfd702
That is also why we have battery disconnects on all our farm equipment plus my Simplicity's. We had a tractor short out in the barn years ago and we just HAPPENED to be in there when it started smoking. You never know what could happen fuel or electrical when you aren't there.

MPH
Because of a post on here a year or two ago I always disconnect the battery when I park inside. That cold gas expanded more then I thought it would. Couple hours after my post I started smelling it again, went and checked and the tank was over full again. First time I dipped it out so it was a little below the fill neck, second time I unhooked the fuel line and drained an inch outta the tank, with doors all open to air out and wipped it all down..MPH

I dont know how many times this has happened at work with the d-10s after weve brought them into the hanger. What amazes me is how much the fuel actually expands, and dumps out. It comes out the vent hole. (deisel).

thedaddycat
If you think you have seen some extreme thermal expansion, try lighting a boiler off. Water level will come up enough we have to drain half a foot out, then as temp. and press. come up while the vent is open, we have to add......... All told, probably a couple thousand gallons worth!!!

Kirk, Is it true that an old steam dog will drink make-up water to see if its pure?:)

Woodydel
A multiple choice test (for you scientists?). A steel gas tank of volume 0.070 m3 is filled to the top with gasoline at 20 °C. The tank is placed inside a chamber with an interior temperature of 50 °C. The coefficient of volume expansion for gasoline is 9.50 ´ 10-4/C°; and the coefficient of linear expansion of steel is 12 ´ 10-6/C°. After the tank and its contents reach thermal equilibrium with the interior of the chamber, how much gasoline has spilled? A. 2.52 ´ 10-5 m3 B. 7.56 ´ 10-5 m3 C. 1.69 ´ 10-3 m3 D. 1.92 ´ 10-3 m3 E. 2.00 ´ 10-3 m3