Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gasoline WARNING!!!!!!!

MPH

Filled the 4040 with gas tonite while I had it outside. Filled to the bottom of the neck, ran a couple min., then parked it inside. Started smellinf gas in the house about an hour later, upon checking it out the 4040 was now running over. The gas was sitting outside at about zero, the shop is about 60. One of them thermal expansion things we all need to keep in mind..MPH

Thanks for the heads-up Marty! I almost forgot about that but with the new shop with HEAT it will be on my mind now. Larry

You cant be too careful,I keep none in living areas and NEVER have a full tank in trac if in garage,,AND put $3 fuel shutoffs on gaslines.

That is also why we have battery disconnects on all our farm equipment plus my Simplicity's. We had a tractor short out in the barn years ago and we just HAPPENED to be in there when it started smoking. You never know what could happen fuel or electrical when you aren't there.

Because of a post on here a year or two ago I always disconnect the battery when I park inside. That cold gas expanded more then I thought it would. Couple hours after my post I started smelling it again, went and checked and the tank was over full again. First time I dipped it out so it was a little below the fill neck, second time I unhooked the fuel line and drained an inch outta the tank, with doors all open to air out and wipped it all down..MPH

I've seen the same thing happen with cars in the middle of summer. Gas comes out of the ground tanks at maybe 60 degrees, heats up to 95 and overflows the tank.....

Ken, I have no idea what post it was, seems like someone lost a tractor or two if I recall rt, then again, my recall function isn't what it used to be...MPH

I dont know how many times this has happened at work with the d-10s after weve brought them into the hanger. What amazes me is how much the fuel actually expands, and dumps out. It comes out the vent hole. (deisel).

Joe, been told my recall function impairness was caused by the pills I took with uncle bud and brother jack, who introduced me to cousin hosay.Don't think I'll risk whats left..MPH

If you think you have seen some extreme thermal expansion, try lighting a boiler off. Water level will come up enough we have to drain half a foot out, then as temp. and press. come up while the vent is open, we have to add......... All told, probably a couple thousand gallons worth!!!

A multiple choice test (for you scientists?). A steel gas tank of volume 0.070 m3 is filled to the top with gasoline at 20 °C. The tank is placed inside a chamber with an interior temperature of 50 °C. The coefficient of volume expansion for gasoline is 9.50 ´ 10-4/C°; and the coefficient of linear expansion of steel is 12 ´ 10-6/C°. After the tank and its contents reach thermal equilibrium with the interior of the chamber, how much gasoline has spilled? A. 2.52 ´ 10-5 m3 B. 7.56 ´ 10-5 m3 C. 1.69 ´ 10-3 m3 D. 1.92 ´ 10-3 m3 E. 2.00 ´ 10-3 m3