Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering Bushing ?

Magoo

I have a 3012 and I can't keep the steering bushing in place for nothin. It has like a spring clip on the bottom of it. and a coller with a set screw on top. The spring clip keeps sliding down the steering shaft and letting the bushing out.? does the steering shaft have a groove in it up farther. Can't figure out what I'm doin wrong. If I can't figure it out I am going to put a hose clamp under the clip. Thanks for any help. Guy

I never had the steering bushing slide down the steering shaft, maybe the snap ring has lost its tension and needs replaced. Ray

Are you talking about the bronze/rubber bushing that goes between the steering shaft and the dashboard? If so, I solved that problem by putting the collar with a setscrew on the steering shaft, down below the bushing, not above it -- now it can't slide down.... On my Big Ten, I used a collar below and above the bushing, since it wanted to ride up and out of the steering column, instead of sliding down like it does on my B-210. I haven't had a problem on the B-210 with it sliding up, so I don't have a collar above it.

I looked at a couple of steering shafts, none of them had a groove for the clip below the rubber bushing. It sounds like it's time for a new clip or use the collar with the set screw, as suggested above. There! The USB cable was loose and I couldn't get the pic to load before, took the local Guru(my wife) to figure that one out....

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
The AC 700 series tractors have a groove in the steering shaft for the ring to snap into.
Sounds like another RBT upgrade. :D

By the looks of thedaddycat's I think I better get a new bushing and snap ring. Thanks for postin the pic. Oh and thank the local Guru to. My bushing is wore on the top and that would make it slide down would be my guess. Thanks a lot. Guy.