Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Still Won't shift ? Help

IronPony

This is a follow-up from "Won't Shift Help" I bent a nice size screwdriver at about a 30-degree angle giving me about a 2" reach inside the transaxle. I can now move the shift rod forward and backward both with the shift lever and with the screwdriver but can't feel anything else to move in there?? The shift lever still will not move back fully into neutral. Seems to stay in the 1st and 3rd area only. Trans is in gear (4th I think). Any more guidance or suggestions PLEASE. Thanks, Dan:(

Examine the parts book breakdown. It will give you an idea how the shift forks and rods have to be in alignment. You will feel them "click in" when they're right.

Thanks Dutch! I don't have a parts breakdown book. Is there a link here someplace? I thought I would be able to "feel" something to move but can't find anything other than what moves the shift rod same as the shift lever. Will I need to "force" it once I find the right purchase to pry on? Danxx(

quote:
Originally posted by howlanddm
I don't have a parts breakdown book. Is there a link here someplace?
There sure is > http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php

Dan, I'll take a picture of my screwdriver when I get home just to give you an idea how long mine and the bend on it that worked Kris Lets see if this picture works now. Dan, I did have to play with it a little to push mine out of 3rd gear but it did work.

Kris, Thanks for the picture. Looks like you have a full inch more reach than I have. I'll bend another tomorrow and see if I can reach out and touch somegear. Thanks again, Dan