Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

diesel tractor

MikeDAmico

hi guys what are your opinions on the cub cadet diesel garden tractors such as the 1772 or 1572 compared to the 7790 simplicity?whats better in anyones opinion the lombardine or the kubota engine ive been looking at buying a diesel cub but im wondering what would be better?thanks...mike

Mike, I think the 7790 is a better, more versitile tractor than the Cub Cadet. But as far as engines go the 7790 with the Lambardini is "old" technology vs. the newer diesels. I have a Kubota diesel and it is nothing like my friends 7790. It is quiet, doesn't shake, doesn't smoke, starts at -20 ... you get the picture.

Kris, unless I'm color blind aren't those AC's kind of yellow and white? What goes around generally comes around.

Bob. All my tractors are orange. A/C and Simplicity. The only thing I know about Cubs are they don't mow very good, I was told this by the guy who gave me my Simplicity Landlord for free. Claimed he just liked the Cub tractor better to rebuild. And didn't want to take the time to rebuild the Simplicity but he did say that he knew the Simplicity has a better cut. But if I was given a Cub I wouldn't turn it down.

What size are you looking for (hp)? Are you looking for new or used? I don't know that much about Simplicity or A/C diesels, but I can tell you that a John Deere 430 Diesel Garden Tractor (Yanmar diesel) can handle most anything that you throw at it, it's reliable and has a 26" turning radius (If I recall correctly). But, on the other hand, it will cost you a lot to buy one, even though they haven't been made since '92. As far as the Cub goes, they do not have the dealership base like they did when it was owned by IH. So parts for that will be hard to find and they will be very expensive. And from my experiences with MTD, you don't want to deal with them, they have bad customer svc. for the IH Cub Cadets. If your first choice is a Simplicity, I understand and I don't blame you a bit for wanting one, the reason why I recommended a JD is because here in the South (I don't know where you live), there are not many Simplicity dealers, so their fine tractors and parts can be high and hard to come by and JD dealers are just about everywhere, the parts are somewhat less and if they can't get the right part for you now, they can have one there in 2 days or less. It's extremely rare to see anything other than John Deere or cheap stuff such as Murray, Craftsman, etc, around here. I was very lucky to get my Simplicity. So, I hope I didn't bore you, but I hope I helped you in making a choice.

Im looking at something 15-17 hp i did price older deeres like the 330? i think it is deisel but way to expensive for me but if one rolls around at the right price id snatch it up....mike

I have bought parts from MTD and found their service to be OK. Sent the right parts and got them to me in no time at all. What I needed was a front axel and they sent full assembly with lots more parts than I expected for a very reasonable price (around $50 total as I recall). I use a 1995 MTD 16hp riding lawn mower to cut about 4 acres of grass. It is still doing OK but it is not really a tractor. I would only recommend buying one of these if you really don't want to spend much and don't expect much out of what your buying. Dan

Dan, did you wear out an MTD axle in 7 years? I have a Simplicity that's over 40 years old and still has the same front axle(as near as I can tell). At that rate, my great-great-grand kids will still be using the darn thing with the original axle,which by then will be somewhere around a hundred years old...........

Mike the 7790 is a good unit,just ask Maynard. I think he bought his new in 1985. As far as the others go, if you have the dealer base for support,find an older Kubota B6100 or B7100. I had two at the Nature Preserve and mowed 15-20 acres a week with them plus clearing snow from drives and parking areas(equal to 1 1/2 acre). The B6100HST was hydro,B6100E was gear with hi-lo and 2spd rearend. Both had several thousand hours on them and still strong. And they had really been abused by former employees! If you are lucky you might find one with 4WD even. And besides...they're orange too! RE Cub and MTD: I worked for a farm supply company for several years and sold MTD products.Our return for repairs was about 40%. A lot of that was "mickey mouse" stuff, fit and finish, vibration loosening fittings, starting problems,etc. We did see a bit of major problems like poor welding, welds cracking and just plain poor design and worksmanship. Customer satisfaction was very low. Just my observations and experience Mike, take'em for what they're worth. Larry

Kris, I won't turn it down either if it was at the right price. I've been lucky, I have all Simplicitys and they were all at the right price.