Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hi-Lo Pulley System

Kent

I may have a lead on an old B-10 with a H1-Lo pulley system. I know these two speed pulleys are kind of hard to find. Since my B-210 is Vari-Drive, I'm a bit "gun-shy." My questions are: 1) How durable are they? 2) What parts, if any, are still available? 3) Anything specific that I should check on it?

Kent, I had one on my old 10 Landlord in 66. If I remember right the pinions are the same as the shuttle and diffeerential. Mine the outer "latch" wore out fairly soon. I had a new one made of material about 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch thick. We also made the "lugs" on the outside of thicker material. I was mowing a 26 acre cemetary with this my only tractor, and mowing the vacant lots in town for the city. I never had any trouble after we "beefed" it up. As I remember you have to cut the input shaft of the transmission off about 1 inch, and it just slipped on with set screws. I primarily used it ti vacuum with. I always mowed in 3rd any place I could. Governor at 4000. I wouldn't expect you to have much trouble, and if you do it can be changed to 3 speed in about 10 minutes. Good luck, AL

1) The shifting lugs on the drum will wear out,they are NOT cheap![$58!]they are avail. 2.)Other than lugs not much else is available for it,other than belt fingers.BTW ONLY AC had this hi-lo kit not Sim. 3.) Both your shaft out of the bev. box and the input on tranny need modifications[to be cut] 4.)Leave the variable drive alone! This kit was made for the 3 spd.a simple bolt on for that trans.Happy Shopping!;>> dlc

Dave, I wasn't looking to put the "Hi-Lo" on my B-210, only to see what I'd be getting into if I bought it. I'd like a second tractor, so one could be "down" for repair or restoration efforts. It's a real pain, with my busy schedule, to try to keep my B-210 serviceable at all times and still restore it. With two, I could take one out of service for the winter, for example, and work on it, yet still have the other for snow plowing, blowing, etc. Even better if I can find a "package" with desired implements that'll interchange readily -- this one has a tiller! But, I don't want to buy something that has reliability or parts availablity problems (such as a shuttle drive).... I'll still need to depend on it. Thanks for the input! Kent

Good for you Kent!Good luck,hope you "get it" it!I know where you can get a REAL NICE hydro lift for either one of those units[esp.] the B-1 tiller trac.! dlc

I had the same problem with mine. The Gear for Low-Range was totally worn out. I also have had a hard time keeping the Allen screws from coming loose on the output Shaft. By the way thanks for posting those diagrams They'll help me greatly.

Correction - Simplicity did make and use these Hi-Low kits - I sold a brand new kit last year that now resides in AZ - and no I don't have any more :(