Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
IronPony

What am I doing WRONG?

IronPony
I have been trying the bent screwdriver fix for being stuck in gear and have had no luck. I can't seem to find any place to lever or push with the screwdriver? The only thing I can touch and move is the shifting shift itself which I can do using the shifting lever without the screwdriver. What am I missing? Am I trying to shift a gear over to one side or the other? Am I trying to find the shifting fork and move it or what? It feels like a big empty hole in there. I am getting a bout a 3 to 4 inch reach with my bent screwdriver. I can reach up down and sideways - still nothing. This is an AC712S with the shuttle and 4 speed trany. It is stuck in 4th gear with the shift lever sitting between 1st and 3rd, I can drive it. When I put it in either 1st or 3rd it completly binds and the engine stalls without any movement. What is a guy to do?? Dan

UCD
Dan You should be trying to slide the gear back into neutral. Your shift lever jumped out of the shifting fork. If you can get the screw driver on the fork for fourth gear force it to the neutral position.

thedaddycat
Hmmmmmm....... I think that you need to get something with a short "hook" bent on the end, then reach in behind the rearward set shifting fork and pull it out towards you. This will disengage fourth gear which is where reverse would be on the three speed tranny, if I'm not mistaken. Most of the three speeds seem to get stuck in first-third(at least mine did) which would require pushing the front shifting fork back to center position. Did you get a pen light and look inside through the hole? You should see one shifting fork that's not positioned in the center. That is the one you need to get back into place so the shift stem can move forward and backward when in neutral.

IronPony
Thanks to daddycat, dutch, UCD and all the rest who have tried to help me here. Still can't seem to catch, push, pull, nudge, lever or what ever else may apply any part inside. Inside seems like a void to me. She is coming apart as soon as I can get the heat going in my shop. Today I hope. I am new at this, so hope it is not too much of a job and that replacement gaskets are available. Any heads up info prior to disassembly would be great fully appreciated. Dan

thedaddycat
Dan, one last time then.... Here's a link to my restoration post, look at it. Read it. ALL the way through. I have the entire tranny apart and back together, many pics and step by step, the whole nine yards. I don't know what else to do to help short of coming out there and doing it for you. Sorry if I sound a little snippy, but I've tried as hard as possible to point out what needs to be done. Maybe I'm just not explaining it in a way you can grasp, but believe me, you should be able to get it out of gear without taking it apart, if that's the only problem. Who knows, maybe you've got more going on in there than just being stuck in gear....... BTW, parts and a new gasket are available. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10303

thedaddycat
Dan, Let me start by appologizing to you and the menbership. I did think of something else to try to demonstrate what you describe. I dug through the tranny parts and found the shifting forks and shift shaft, without the stem installed. Imagine you are looking down from above at the shift forks. In neutral they are lined up like this, with the shift stem free to move back and forth between the two forks. The gap inbetween the forks is where the roll pins in the case and cover form the gate the shift stem passes through when in neutral.

When you're in fourth gear(Reverse for a three speed), the shift handle is back and to the right. This causes the rear shift fork to move to the left side of the tranny, engaging fourth gear. If you "slip past the gate" so to speak, the detent catches back in fourth while the shift stem is now in the neutral lane. The tooth on the rear shift fork will not allow the stem to travel rearward, but it is free to engage first or third gears. With two gears engaged at the same time......... If you look in through the plug hole you should see something that resembles these parts in that position. I really hope this helps you out of having to tear it apart, it's a two minute fix if you can get it to work.

The shift forks engage the two collars facing each other in the middle of the upper shaft pictured here. That is the input shaft which has the pulley keyed to the left end. The lower shaft has the brake on the right end. This three speed has reverse on the far right end, with the reverse idler in the gap between the upper and lower shafts. Yours would have the biggest gear on the upper shaft in that position, fourth gear, and it would engage directly with the gear on the lower shaft.

PatRarick
One more thing that may help in clarifying what to do. If the transmission is stuck in 4th gear (or reverse), you want to move the rear fork to the right (as facing the rear) of the tractor. The left and right postition of the forks is just the opposite of what is shown on the shift pattern, while front to rear is the same as the pattern. Pat