Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416H Hydro Leak Follow up

netsco

First of all, thank you both for responding. I do appreciate it. I went out this evening after work and took off the covers so that I could better see the oil leak. I'm not 100% certain but it looks as though the oil is coming from around the brake/clutch shaft on the hydrostat. There is a lot of dirty oil build up on the unit so it is hard to say for sure but if it's not coming from this shaft then it is coming from the larger shaft (input shaft?) right beside it. I realize that you can't talk me through a repair such as this, but my main concern is that if I have to break the case to replace a seal will there be springs and ball bearings flying everywhere? Also, is this even a task that I would want to tackle since my mechanical ability is limited and my knowledge of a hydrostat is non-existant? Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Dave

Quickest way to satisfy your soul is to download parts book from Simplicity web site and see way way seal goes in. You need the 6 digit P/N. On older tractors they only showed that last three numbers, those were prefixed by 990XXX. Here is site http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php

Search this forum (archives too) for "Vickers". You will find tips on stopping leaks yourself, and shops the will do it for you.

Dave, When you search the forums, use the search function under the the Discussions menu option and NOT the Quick Search box at the top of the screen. Also, check the box on the Search form for Search the Archives.... There's almost 40,000 topics in the archives, and you'll find a lot of info about the Vickers...