Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lever on Kohler 12

SgtBob

First, thanks for the replies on my 1st posting here, (912h-919H). I've got some dditional questions.... here's one of em'. What is the spring loaded lever for that sit's below the carb area on the side of the Kohler K301? ..........SgtBob

I assume you are referring to the manual fuel pump lever. This is for "priming" the carb after the engine is run out of fuel. Rather than spinning your engine to pump fuel to the carb, you can actuate this lever to operate the fuel pump. Whether or not it works, depends on the position of the engine when it stops. If it stops with the cam putting pressure on the internal fuel pump lever, the manual lever will will move free and not operate the pump. Turning the engine over slightly will allow the lever to work. The manual lever will also move free when the carburetor is full of fuel. Don't really know how to explain the difference in "feel", other than to tell you "experience". Since these tractors are partially gravity fed, it is not necessary to use the lever. It is more for a situation where the fuel tank sits at an equal or lower level than the carburetor. Pat

....Once again, thanks! This forum is definitely a big help. But you'll all be sorry as I'll be asking more questions!