Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JBox

thedaddycat

Hello there tractor fans. Today we have for you history in the making. This is the first production Johnny Box, Serial 1001. Kent has the prototype and I can see already why he likes it. It came yesterday after I had left for work, so I slept first and opened it this afternoon. Four bolts and six pins are all that's needed to assemble and mount this implement.

Use two of supplied bolts with nylock nuts and washers to bolt on the tractor hitch and the other two for the towing bar. A 9/16" wrench and socket does the trick. It looks like a trailer ball will bolt right on. The way the box lifts keeps it level as it raises and lowers.

The rippers slip into the bracket about 1/2" and pin in stowed position. Grabbing it by the "horns", the tractor hitch slipped right in place and I popped the pins in.

With the lift bar in the rear lift, I grabbed one ripper and lifted the box into place and pinned it there. It took longer to unpack or photograph than it did to assemble and mount combined. John, thanks already for such a well thought out product. The ideas are already churning about what comes next.....

My prototype is yellow, baked-on powdercoat. Here's a link: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/johnny_box.htm So, Kirk if yours is S/N 1001, does that mean I don't have a S/N? I have Johnny Bucket #2, I think... the second one made for the Simplicity lineup, and the first one after the "prototype" for it. Dang, now I'm confused, and my numbers don't match, so I guess they don't have much collectible value ;)

Actually, I had talked to John and asked about the serial numbers and he said he had not been going to serialize the boxes. Since I had asked and had the first one, he'd send the plate out with #1001. My JBJr. is #1024, guess it's value will have to be as a working tool.....

john's products are very well thought out indeed, and if i had not spent soo much money lately between the new sovereign and the jbjr i would order one of these as well. I only wish that with the cable type rear lift on the new sovereign that i could use such a thing as the johnny box. :( I guess the lift system on the new machines does not lift opposite front to back as did my old 3112h, so ther would be no "counterbalance action"

John, Some have been able to connect the cable lift to the opposite side of the lift's cross-shaft and reconfigure the necessary pulleys so that they could use a counterweight on a cable lift. But, I'm not sure if you could do this to your new Sovereign....

Very cool, seems like the rippers should be in the back of the box closer together so your not running over and packing what youve torn up. What a great little attachment. Doug

kent I had a modular home put in and need to to some leveling and grading/ I have an ac716 manual lift/i checked out the jb website and appears to be real handy. the guys giving testimonials about apparently had hydro lifts, have you done much work with it using manual lift or a member maybe could answer. I'am a new member have been on many times since buying my 716 about a year ago/al garner