Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
cranemech

lift cylinder rods ark 600 loader

cranemech
Evening All, Looks like I can do a little work to my tractor, I finally have the time and the money which we all know is a vary rare thing :)The lift cylinder rods on my loader are badly pitted. I can have new rods made from stainless steel versus having mine rechromed or purchasing new cylinders. Any thoughts? Later, Chad

BLT
I would stay with chromed lift rods. Stainless won't rust, but they have no tensile strength and would bend easier. An example is that you never see any grade 8 bolts made from stainless, I think they are all grade 2 because the is no carbon in them to give them strength.

Roy
Stainless has plenty of strength and toughness but high carbon steel usually has a higher yield strength rating. (Yield is when a material starts to deform). Chromed rods are used for hardness and surface finish so the seals will not fail or leak.

powermax_paul
I agree Roy. Chromed rod is typically C-1045 with a yield of 86000 psi whereas 304 Stainless is only 35000 psi yield strength. My chromed rods are pitted cuz the loader sat for 20 years without ever being used. The polished chrome plating should help save on wiper seals and provided the cylinders are stoked occasionally, a thin oil film should protect them from corrosion.

cranemech
Evening All, Sorry for the delay. I appreciate all the input and I think I will check into having mine rechromed instead. I would hate to have them fail at a critical time:( Thanks again, Chad