Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What to do?

Nubian

Help making a decision! My manual D/A 5215 has 460hrs on it with FWD.I have the opportunity to trade it with another identical D/A 5215 that has hydro,power steering, front end loader but 900 hrs. what do you think? the engine is a 18hp 3 cylinder Toyosha. should the 900 hours scare me away?

IMO, 400-500 hours difference on a diesel engine is not that significant, if that's the only thing that's holding you back.

I thought so,it's just hard giving up 460hrs for 900hrs I'm trying to justify it by saying the loader makes up the difference and makes the deal worthwhile. Do you agree Kent? thanks for the quick reply i have to make a decision by morning.

How does the tractor look otherwise? Is it in pretty comparable condition? Obviously the loader is desirable -- it's probably worth in the ballpark of $1500 all by itself, if it's in good working condition. I'd also think the hydro and power steering would be very desirable, also. Are both 4 wheel drive?

http://www.agdealer.com/list/view_imagedealer.cfm?image=5072524&dealerid=2857 as far as i can tell it looks OK, My tractor (gallery)looks much better but i know i'll have to give something up. yes both have FWD i has the 3 things i'm lokking for:Hydro (live pto),Power steering and FEL go to the above link for a picture and tell me what you think,

Certainly don't compare cosmetically. Looks like it's spent a lot of time outside, and a lot of that fading might "compound out" with some elbow grease. Other than that, it doesn't look that bad for that "list" price -- i.e. prior to any negotiation. Certainly doesn't look "used and abused" but it's hard to tell from just a picture. Are you planning to trade? Have you driven it?

Personally, I'd probably take the hydro/loader/power steering for the 440 hours difference but that's just me.... Assuming the tractor checks out OK.

Ed don't be turned off because of engine. If reasonably maintained, it should outlast the tractor. The picture didn't look the best and you might be surprised. It doesn't look abused.

If it looks ok in real life, I don't think the extra hours would stop me, just for the loader, If you went looking for an after market loader, new your over 2 grand from what I have seen...MPH

Thanks again guys! MPH i have checked most and haven't found any under 3000 new. Well it's 5:30am and i'm off to check it out.

No it was far from heaven! Everything was covered with snow. They had a lot of D/A's though. That 5215 was hurting, looks like it was never garaged. I fail to understand how people can pay so much money for something and treat it like crap. The loader was in very good (mechanical)shape but that was all. They seem like good people but I was taken back that they failed to mention during the numerous phone calls that the hour meter was broken and could only guess that it had about 900 hours on it since the meter stopped at 863. Had I known that, I would not have made such a long trip.I am glad I did not load my tractor up and take it with me. BTW do you guys think that 220 miles one way is a long trip just for a look see?

Nubian, We all do it. I drove to Wengers in Meyerstown PA (4hrs 1 way for me) and found a 712H that supposedly ran when it arrived. Close inspection showed the hydro was about shot, oil leaked between the cooling fins on the engine and overall shape of the tractor was very poor, to say the least. Deck was also shot. Turned out to be a nice day for a ride :D! Too bad about the tractor. If you see anything there in the future, I'm only about 2 hrs away, be happy to make the trip and check it out for you. John

Eddy, Sorry it didn't work out... As far as 220 miles being a bit far for a look-see... I drove over 250 miles to get a non-running Big Ten which I'd bought sight-unseen off the site -- not even pictures.... When I found out that it had a tiller, mower deck, dozer blade and hydraulic lift, I was convinced it was worth the trip.... I guess it depends on how much you want whatever it is you're looking for! For Marty (MPH) 220 miles is more like a trip to the grocery store!

ACJOHN that is very nice of you to offer, are you north west east or south of there. HEY Kent and the governing body.I just realized this is my 100th post! what do i get:D:D