Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AlfredGarner

jb

AlfredGarner
I'am a new member I got my fine old ac716 at an auction last feb/and it has been great/much better than my yardman junk/anyway I need to do some dirt work and the jb appears that it could be what I need/my question is there any members that have the jb on a manual lift/and if they have done much with it and how it worked/al

Kent
Al, all my experience has been with hydraulic lift, not manual. Other club members use them with manual lift... The real key, I think, to doing "grade work" is that you need some way to loosen the dirt. The Johnny Bucket is not designed to dig into packed soil -- it is designed to scoop, haul and spread loose material. IMO, using one to dig packed soil is where the most stress is really placed on the tractor (BGB, axle tubes, etc.), IF you can get enough traction to do it at all... So, you need figure out some way of loosening the dirt first.... That's why John Scheele and I came up with the idea of scarifiers (rippers) on his companion counterweight box. I haven't had a chance to try my prototype, so I can't tell you how well it works. I have a moldboard plow, and I've also thought of using that to loosen the soil/sod, then using the bucket.... With all that said, if you have a lot of dirt work to do, it might be just as cheap and a lot faster to rent a Bobcat (or other brand skidsteer) for a weekend.... They're designed for what it sounds like you're trying to do.

AlfredGarner
quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Al, all my experience has been with hydraulic lift, not manual. Other club members use them with manual lift... The real key, I think, to doing "grade work" is that you need some way to loosen the dirt. The Johnny Bucket is not designed to dig into packed soil -- it is designed to scoop, haul and spread loose material. IMO, using one to dig packed soil is where the most stress is really placed on the tractor (BGB, axle tubes, etc.), IF you can get enough traction to do it at all... So, you need figure out some way of loosening the dirt first.... That's why John Scheele and I came up with the idea of scarifiers (rippers) on his companion counterweight box. I haven't had a chance to try my prototype, so I can't tell you how well it works. I have a moldboard plow, and I've also thought of using that to loosen the soil/sod, then using the bucket.... With all that said, if you have a lot of dirt work to do, it might be just as cheap and a lot faster to rent a Bobcat (or other brand skidsteer) for a weekend.... They're designed for what it sounds like you're trying to do.

AlfredGarner
kent thank you for your info/i should be able to loosen what i need with my tractors tiller/deepest i should have to go is about 8 or 10 inches deep/really appreciate the info/besides if hydro lift is better which probably is,that gives me an excuse to find me another fine old ac or simp/thanks again