Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winter projects

BrownA

I was just wondering how many members are working on a winter project related to their garden tractor. I would like to rebuild my bevel gear box and build a front end loader for my B-210 but so far this winter I haven't had the time. Is the winter the time you do the larger repair jobs or custom build jobs or is your tractor tied up with a snow blower so that the winter is not the time for this type of work. I have a small dump truck plus two walk behind snow blowers so I think this week I am going to start working on my tractor. It seems that it's always tough to get motivated to tear it apart even for a repair. ?

Alan, now that I have a shop, yes, winter pass time. Problem I see is winter is too short this year as I didn't get home til Dec 4th..MPH

I have two on my HB-216 that I need to get done, and I've just gotten the first one started. 1. Replace the bad bevel gear box, and repair the damage from it rolling off the bank and hitting a tree when the hydro leaked down. I've replaced the BGB, the hood has been straightened, and now it's time to try straightening the dash -- or replace it -- repaint as needed and reassemble. It's looks like I'll be replacing the seals in my hydraulic lift while it's apart also... 2. Sanding/stripping and repainting a 48" mower deck off a Simplicity 7000 series that I traded the original 42" deck for....

Now would be an excellent time to clean up and rebuild my mower decks. Won't need them in service for three more months. Only one problem, Janet won't let me bring them in the house:( So far though I've fabricated my wheel weight brackets, made a custom lift rod for the 7010 front blade, Started new lift rods for the 312 both the blade and the blower. Also should finish the battery wiring on 2110 soon. I should organize my note books and docs I've collected on these tractors. Not the least bit bored yet :) Steve Steve

Alan, Hi from NW Ohio I have 2 tractor projects this winter, complete restoration on a B1 and also on a B110, no chance of bordem setting in around here. :D

Winter is an execellant time for projects, providing you have a warm place to do it. I'm restoring a 717 this winter here in N.C. so far its been warm enough in the garage. I did a B12 last winter and it turned out fine thanks to the balmy weather Nothing like my original home in Wisc. Go to it!!

well.................when your ready to start the loader project the offer still stands to come down and measure up mine. would enjoy the company. rob

I just finished fixing (hopefully) the leaks fromt the pintle shafts in the Vickers Hydrostat in the AC 312 I have. The hardest part of the job was getting the hydrostat out. Swapping the internal pump components into the bushed pump housing was really straightforward.

I have 2 projects oops 3. Currently restoring a 9HP Landlord. At the moment I have just rebuilt the BGB, Rearend, steering gears and put the $30 something 9HP Briggs motor back in after getting it to run. I'm planning on taking this tractor back apart in the summer and doing a full sandblast and repaint but for now I just want to make sure everything works right and fits good including the cab. 2nd project is getting the AC 314 I just got to run and drive. Doesn't look like too much to do just taking the engine oil pan off and clean out the old goop that has sat there for some 3 years and change the seals and gaskets. I'm going to rebuild the rearend in this one also to be sure that it doesn't stick in gear again. As for the 3rd project I just got a 3 belt snowblower I'm going to rebuild for the Landlord That's enough for this winter and summer :D Kris