Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

101 fuel tank

G.Kiebler

The one on my B10, project, was a real mess. I took older (not dirty) gas. Filled it halfway, and rinsed alot of the crud out. Then I took gravel, like you use in a fish tank, and put that in and shook the devil out of it. Then I did the gas rinse several more times. Removed the fitting and screen cleaned them up real good. Voila....cleaned up real nice.

There has been post of great length and sometimes humor on cleannng gas tanks. Walnut shells seemed to be the winner,, strapping them to a rear tire then using the tractor to do some work replaced the shaking for one guy with a rusty tank. So far, only bad one I had was only useable for a screening scieve, which I haven't found a use for yet, but I saved it..MPH

Gary, You may want to search the archives. There's been a lot of discussion here on how to clean them, including using rocks, walnut shells, old nuts & bolts, etc. Instead of shaking it, someone else suggested strapping the gas tank with these items in it to the rear wheel of another tractor, using bungee cords. Then, use the tractor... The wheel turning will tumble the items inside the tank, like a tennis shoe in a clothes dryer, and gently pound the rust and scale loose.... Once cleaned, there's coatings designed to stop/prevent further scaling, many of them coming from use on motorcycles. Kreem is one brand name... New gas caps with the guage built in are still available from dealers, in two sizes -- the short one for the old ones with steel tanks and a longer one for the newer tractors with plastic tanks. The cap/guage should be somewhere in the $10 -15 range.

I have use pea gravel in the past but it's a killer on the arms.I like the idea of strapping it to a wheel,pretty slick. Thanks guys!

If you use a piece of chain its much easier to get all the pieces out of the tank later. Ive used Kreem on severl tanks and it works very well.

I remember someone one this site was selling a product that ate rust and was cleaning parts with good results,i cant remember who or the name of the stuff but i thinking you just added water and brushed it on what ever you were derusting ...why couldnt a guy get some of that stuff and mix it up in the rusty gas tank and let it eat ? or is that not a good idea? I dont know much about this stuff.. Marc

Marc, member Woodydel was/is selling a product for removing rust. here's a link to a discussion a while back. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6049&SearchTerms=rust Also, here's a website http://www.cleanrust.com