Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Why do you collect garden tractors?

Kent

All the above is my answer!Plus I believe it's an ego thing with some folks that;' I have more "stuff"[tractors or WHATEVER ELSE] than you'!Fred's gonna love your '57 Wonderboy lit.[if he ever gets back on line again!] Folks will collect old tracs. and I'll try to help them with their needs for obsolete parts,etc.Right Dick? BTW the Clinton nose is a scream! Keep up the good work! dlc

It started out as a need to fix things. Three years ago I bought a 1944 Allis Chalmers 'C' tractor and the next month a 1981 Gravely with mower deck came down the driveway. Next we (I have ten year old twin sons and a loving wife) were looking for a second garden tractor for the other boy and we bought a large pile of Bolens parts that we assembled what is mostly a G12 from. I think we can squeeze two more tractors from the pile if I quit selling parts to people. Then a 1939 John Deere 'A' followed me home and this Spring we traded a Murray Lawn Chief for a older 728 Broadmoor. Like I said; it started out as a need to fix things.

Besides 1 & 2, 5,6......Practical.They can be made use of. (Which is what I tell the wife) Fun of restoration. Cheaper, easier, more accessable parts than most other mehanical collectibles to restore. (Ok, that was #4 with more words) And better built than what is offered new around here. (Se*rs and De*res)

Since the discussion forum is a bit slow now, thought I'd start an "unofficial poll" to gather more info and insight.... Why do you collect old garden tractors? Is it because: 1) Less expensive to collect than "big ones"... 2) Takes less room to store than "big ones"... 3) Think they'll go up in value (an investment)... 4) Easier to repair and restore than old cars... 5) Fill in the blank: _________________________ Surely this isn't akin to the "Beanie Baby" collecting craze, so help us all understand more.... Now I have the bug, and I'd like to hear your reasons. Kent

My reasons to collect: First for Fun, second for Nostalgia, third for Practiality. Fun - It is fun to find a neglected tractor and nurse it back to health. It makes me feel good when I can get something someone else has given up on a New Life. I enjoy the repairs of these Simple Tractors and am often reminded and smile at their simplicity of design. Nostalgia - I grew up around the big tractors and yes I don't have room or need for those. But there is a gene in there that just likes to have that AC Stuff around. And the gene takes control when another opportunity to "collect" comes along! Practical products - The variety of attachments to solve real problems around the old homestead are practical ways to save time (and have fun too). Last - it is rewarding to be able to share problems, thoughts, ideas with a community of people with interests like mine. Tuffy

I would have to say 1 & 2. It started out by getting a Landlord, then I wanted attachments and ended up with Broadmoor and all attachments I wanted, mower, blower and tiller. I guess I still have to be classified more owner as I rototilled my son's healthy sized garden yesterday. But then again when you only have a 120 X 120 lot, two riding mowers and four walk behind mowers (Old lawnboy's) kind of brands you as a collector.

grandpawrichard
I'm not really a collector, I just inhereited the Tractor! I joined this club to learn how to take care of this FINE piece of equipment,and to learn more about it! Not only that, but I needed a place to get parts for it, because the so called Simplicity dealer in our area, says you can't get parts for my Simplicity Sovereign model 7016! I've already proved him wrong!

Kent, Maybe it has to do with your cylinder index, the more cylinders the better. It is 1&2 in your list, and it is just plan fun, and to have a club like this to share this hobby with is very enjoyable to say the least. Thanks Kent and all the members. Floydster

I don't have a collection yet, only the Regent we bought new 5 years ago to mow the lawn and blow snow with. This summer I added a 20 year old Troybilt Pony. After a new spark plug and some carb tweeking, it's ready to go another twenty years. I would like something old and simple and bigger, on the order of an Economy or Speedex. I like that they look like small farm tractors, instead of big garden tractors. My reasons would be 1, 2, 4, & 5: I have a almost 3-year-old son, who is nuts about tractors. I learned a lot from my dad in the garage, and I hope I can do the same with my son. My son can't talk much, yet, but he knows his grandpas by who has which color of tractors.

My Dad bought his AC312D new, and being a great mechanic and growing up on a farm,he took pride in mantaining "Alice". I bought a similar AC410 about 15 years ago 'cause I knew it was a quality machine and gave us a little more to talk about. When he died 10 years ago, I inherited "big Alice" and just maybe, my 11 year old and I may have the same bond that I now miss.

Being a retired mechanic I still find the need to fix or repair things to like or near new condition with the exception of a pretty paint job. So hear I go #1 nope it's not really the $$$ although it sure helps keep my "better half" happier at times. #2 nope it's not the room persay as I have access to at least 1 of 3 of the brother inlaw's barns. #3 nope not the increase in value as that's not my thing as I don't really see it in something I use so much and won't get rid of anyway. #4 sure, much cheaper less time but quicker results and less overall work but still very rewarding. #5 "It's just plain darn fun to watch my neighbors see a 36 year old tractor while I'm riding it doing what there newer-yellow cubs-green deere's-red horse's- silver sears, can't do any better or as good. It's seeing your neighbors instead of useing their tractors to cut their front lawns walk behind a mower so as to get a better cut then their tractor's can give while useing 1 of my 30 to 36 year old tractors to cut not only mine but 7 other neighbors lawns and have them look "GREAT". Now how can you beat that??? Just get a tractor like we all have in this fine club "its just that simple" now that's just about sums it up. Thanks to all ->jackl-happyjack<-

1&2> less money and less space means I can collect more of these garden tractors than Ag tractors, trucks, or cars. 3> $$Investment/Value?? More importantly I'm investing in my mental health playing with these tractors. 4> Yes easier to repair and "Simple" you don't need no dang blam diagnostic computer to fix them. 5> Because I'm goofy like the rest of you guys. MikeES PS. My 8 year old son has been into tractors since 6 months old. He has been driving my HB212 since 3 yrs old, and this year we got into garden tractor pulling. GARDEN TRACTORS is a great father/child hobby.

The biggest reason for me collecting these vintage machines is the bond that it creates between my father and I. He started the whole restoration hobby with acquiring four John Deere farm tractors with numerous attachments (3 of them restored and in use). Since then my father and I have mechanically restored my 2010 Landlord, Wheel Horse RJ-58 and Wheel Horse Suburban 400 with many attachments. It is a great feeling to work together on a project and finally resurrect another piece of machinery from the junk yard. I already see this bond continuing between my 6 year old son and myself, as we work on similar projects. All other things aside, I believe the relationship between father and son is the greatest thing to build while doing things the each other enjoys.

It all started with my Dad's 39 Allis Chalmers B and then his 63 Simplicity Landlord. I grew up around these great machines and still use them today. At the time it never seemed like work. Growing up we watched the neighbors buy new tractors all the time, but our old Landlord still just keeps putting away. A few years ago I acquired a 3416H (soon to be for sale after a restoration, as per my wife) Now that my wife and I have a 4 year old boy (who lives and breaths tractors) we've started going to tractor shows and pulls. Hey, it's cheaper than Disney World. We found out we could get in free if we brought along a tractor. You meet the nicest people on old tractors too. Little Joe really enjoys every aspect of the tractor experience, the tools, noise the motors make, riding and now driving. The picture below is the day we surprised him when we brought home our new 75th Anniversary Tractor. They make great birthday presents. You can see by the look on little Joe's face he's a little pleased by all this. Yep, it’s a guy thing. http://216.22.135.56/thesuprise.jpg

#5 (Fill in the blank) I "collect" tractors so I can give others the opportunity to to do the same. As already witnessed - it can be a very satisfying hobby! :)

grandpawrichard
Grab a pillow buddy and let me tell you a story: I was visiting family overseas last January and having a grand time (let me pause for a moment to add: Korean Airlines Sucks!). The country I was in was one of those hot-all-year-long-southeast-Asia-when-it-rains-oh-my-God-does-it-rain type places. About every other day I'd buy an international newspaper just to see what was going on back here in the good ol' U.S. of friggin' A. I took great pleasure in finding out that my home town here in the Enchanted Mitten (that's Michigan, to all of you shifty eyed non-Michiganians) was experiencing a huge multi-day snow fall that dumped a couple of feet of white heart attack. Naturally, I felt pretty good about sitting in my new silk batik on the balcony sipping ice coffee under cloudless skies. Then, I got home. While my neighbors, like the good little ants, had been able to work steadily and keep their driveways clear, I, like the lazy grasshopper, had let it go until it was unmanageable. It took about 5 hours to make my driveway passable. That is when I decided that I'd not go another winter without a snow blower. Have you priced snow blowers? All that money for something you're only going to use a few times a year. It's not even comparable to a lawnmower that you use usually at least once a week. About the middle of this past summer the guy at the end of the block puts this Simplicity tractor out for sale in his front yard. Now, I don't need a lawn tractor my lot is only 85 x 120 and Lord knows I need the excercise of pushing a mower. So, I didn't pay it much attention. It sat there about a week and then I noticed that it had grown a 36" snow thrower attachment. When I found out the price ($675 for those keeping score) I never wrote a check so immediately and with clearness of vision and determination. I've cut the lawn with it a couple of times, I've been to the local dealer (testosterone pours out of the windows in that place) and now I'm hooked. The simple beauty of the way they're engineered (can you tell I'm from Detroit?) the toughness, the feel of quality, the uncontrollable urge to tinker, the sudden irrational want of additional attachments I really don't need. I've been sucked into this thing against my will and better judgement. Now I'm trying to justify in my mind buying a bigger garden tractor that can handle all the attachments and I don't even know what is possible. It doesn't matter if I don't have a use for them either, I'll figure out something later on. Plus, recently I bought the family farm to use as a summer home. A week ago I was there staring out over the huge field my grandfather use to grow oats in. Guess what I was thinking. To more precisely and less long windedly answer your question: All of the above, and "other"

• 1 month later...