Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416 Hydro Leak

netsco

Hi everyone, I've posted a couple of questions on this subject in the past few days but now I think that I might have enough information so that you can give me some much needed advice. I've been leaking hydro oil on my garage floor for quite some time but the leak has been slow and not much of a problem After working the tractor fairly hard last week I walked out to my shed the next day and there was a puddle of oil under the tractor and the hydrostat reservoir was empty. I've traced the oil leak to the clutch/brake shaft on the differential but I'm totally at a loss as to how my hydrostat oil is coming from this location since there is supposed to be 90W oil in the gear box. Can someone please tell me what is going on and what type of fix I'm looking at? The only thing I can imagine is that my hydraulic pump is leaking at the drive shaft and that is where the oil is coming from. Please try to be as explicit as possible when answering because I'm in the dark when it comes to hydraulic units. Thanks in advance, Dave

If it has a Vickers unit[cast iron trans with top radiator]leak usually occurs in trunion shaft that controls fwd/rev.if leaking by brake just replace seal not a hard job,,if trunion leak//BIG extensive job,,if hyd.tranny oil is getting down into gearcase//big job

Dave my HB212 has the same problem. It has been leaking for 20 years. What is wrong is an O-ring on the drive output shaft of the hydro where it drives the main gear in the transaxle. This leaks hyro oil into the transaxle and it then overflows out the brake shaft. Depends out bad it leaks determines how bad you want to go in a fix it. The fix requires pulling the hydro unit out AND apart to replace the seal. As for me I park the tractor over a cake pan. I use between a pint and a quart per year. And yes there are times it seems to hardly leak and other times it leak more. Just keep checking the level so you don't run it low.

Mike, Thanks for the information. Since mine is leaking the entire reservoir dry, just sitting in the garage I'd say it's time to do the fix. This is one that I might have to take to a professional. I know nothing about a hydrostat and have found that usually a person costs themselves more money by going into something totally blind. Thanks again for the info and have a great evening. Dave
quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
Dave my HB212 has the same problem. It has been leaking for 20 years. What is wrong is an O-ring on the drive output shaft of the hydro where it drives the main gear in the transaxle. This leaks hyro oil into the transaxle and it then overflows out the brake shaft. Depends out bad it leaks determines how bad you want to go in a fix it. The fix requires pulling the hydro unit out AND apart to replace the seal. As for me I park the tractor over a cake pan. I use between a pint and a quart per year. And yes there are times it seems to hardly leak and other times it leak more. Just keep checking the level so you don't run it low.

Dave, you have something much more serious than the o-ring leaking, to lose that much oil. Too bad, I would agree with finding someone who has experience.

Just following the discussion about leaking seals. A little trick I've learned is to pour a cap full or so of brake fluid in the reservoir. Many times it will swell up the leaky seal just enough to stop the leak. My Rover steering box hasn't leaked for two years. I've learned this from owning numerous British cars, who come with leaks from the factory. "How do you know when your British Car/Motorcycle is out of oil? it stops leaking!"