Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ROBBYDOB

new member 1st post

ROBBYDOB
Hello everyone! This website, and you members are top notch! If you didn't know that, now ya do! I have just aquired eight old AC's, an Deutz Allis front drive rear steer job, and a Simplicity Soveriegn, (what a little machine that is!)I'll have more info on the rest of the new family in the spring time. However, I do need some info on one of the AC's, it's a 920 with the Lombardini twin diesel. One of the cylinder heads is destroyed, as well as the piston. I haven't found the valves yet, (as this was disassembled when I found it), but I'm assuming they are done for too. Is this engine going to cost more repair than it would be to replace? If not, who of you has these for me to buy? lol. Any feed back muchly appreciated, thanks, Rob

IronPony
Sorry, I don't know a thing about any of your questions. However, I do want to welcome you to this fine club. Keep us posted as you move along on this project of yours. Pictures and a little background would be interesting. Welcome to you - Dan

Hi Rob-KEE-RIST!---lots of new members!...don't know anything about spahetti diesels,but I have a sovereign-what year is yours?(approx.)Welcome! CJ

ROBBYDOB
CHARLIE, IT'S A 97' WITH AN 18 HORSE V-TWIN, POWER STEERING AND TRACTION CONTROL, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE SOVERIEGN AND THE 920, IS THE NAME ON THE TIN, AND THE ENGINE. I THINK THE WHEELS ARE ALSO DIIFERENT! THE KNOBS ON THE HYDRO LIFT, THROTTLE, AND CLUTCH LEVERS ARE DIFFERENT TOO! ON CHRISTMAS DAY I PLOWED 120' DRIVEWAY WITH IT, WE HAD RECIEVED ABOUT 14" BEFORE I GOT OUT THERE. MY WIFE THOUGHT I WAS NUTS, AND WOULD WIND UP GETTING STUCK. I HAD THE DRIVEWAY AND PART OF OUR YARD CLEANED OUT IN ABOUT 15 MINUTES! (42" PLOW BLADE) NO WEIGHTS, JUST CHAINS!

Rob-I have the same machine,(but no power steering:(-also the 42" blade.I don't use weights(so far)just chains,but I don't have any slopes/hills to deal with here.Never used weight on my old 7112 either-and I plowed pretty steep hills with that...they can really push whatever you put 'em up against-snow,manure,dirt-whatever! Hang onto that sov-they aren't making any more! CJ[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=dogman&file=1473"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url]

roma3112
welcome to the club!:D As i found out more than a year ago this place is a wealth of knowledge about these fine machines. Having just 1 machine (3112h) until recently i have pulled enough information from the kind folks here to allow me to keep a fine old machine runing well into its 3rd dekade of service. I think you will be pleased at what you can gain from participating in what goes on here especially with 8 machines~[:0] Where did you ever get them all ? take care john b

MikeES
Eight old ACs, Rob you hit the motherlode! Yes, sad to say, the diesel is expensive to repair. My guess to rebuild could easily run up to $1,000. My friend had his throughly rebuilt (for his pulling tractor) for just under $2,000.

LBS
Rob, I have a Simplicity 7790 (Oops. I previously said 9020, One of those 11:30 PM things!) which is the equivalent of the AC 920. They are great machines, I keep thinking of selling mine 'cause the $2500 sounds real nice! But I cannot sell it, it is one POWERFULL tractor. Anyone who sees you mowing thick two-foot high grass will either think it is getting ready to blow apart or think it is one bull of a tractor. Some one once asked: "How many horsepower? 60? I can’t mow like that even with my 30 HP Kubota!" I rebuilt mine for about $280 but it did not have serious problems like yours. I got the parts from Hoover Diesel Service 255 Mascot Rd Ronks, PA 17572 Phone 717-656-3322 Fax 717-656-4022 If you have any questions email me and I would be glad to help in any way I could. And if you throw the pizza out, PLEASE let me know, I need TWO! Oh and BTW be sure and tell Hoover diesel that you are a small engine shop and they will give you 40% off. And if you replace the pistons, get the 4-ring kind, yours have 3 and they smoke. Here is a previous thread on 920s...[url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10724[/url]