Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

blown Nelson muffler/Briggs engine

G.Kiebler

Is the Kohler style muffler a viable option? Would or does it have different backpressure properties? Is the cost of a Nelson worth it?

Generally speaking if you stay size for size, you should be OK. There shouldn't be much of a backpressure problem as most of the lawn and garden variety mufflers aren't greatly baffled. If you wanted true engine exhaust silencing, you would find it very difficult to install due to it's size. By the way Nelson Corp is now a division of Cummins Engine Co.

Gary, FWIW -- I've tried several different muffler combinations on mine: the cheap boxstore replacements, the about $20 Briggs-brand cannister-type, a stack muffler, a chrome shorty muffler from a Harley, and the OEM-style Nelson.... I'm running OEM Nelsons on both of mine now and have no plans to change ... the stack muffler was the quietest, but it got in the way when mowing around shrubs, etc. If I could find something quieter than the Nelson that didn't get in the way, I might change, but that'd be the only reason why... I like the tone of the Nelson, and the fact that that the exhaust is directed to the front of the tractor. The real limiter is space/size -- where to mount it that it doesn't interfere with some other tractor part, or so that it doesn't effect operating the tractor.... My 2 cents...

Also, don't expect to go to Nelson and buy one. The OEM's, i.e. Simplicity, go to Nelson with some design and sound criteria, exhaust gas flow, exhaust temperature and then Nelson would come up with the muffler to do the job. There are always tooling charges involved which the OEM has to absorb. And to Nelson that muffler design became propriety to the participating OEM. Nelson did at one time come out with their own line small engine mufflers, but none of them ever come close to any Simplicitys or AC's.

Kent, I too prefer the tone of the Nelson.I looked at Jack's small engine and found a retro fit made by Supertrap,I can remember guys using them on their cars becuse you could adjust the tone by adding or removing disks.They didn't list a price but I'll call and find out.

I was looking in to one to. here is the link. if u click on one of them u can price it out. I have used supertrapp in the past on dirt bikes with great results.[url][/url]http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm

Gary, if you are talking about the AC 700 (with a Kohler engine) vs. the Sim 3400/7000 (with a B&S engine), they used the same muffler.