Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT17S Twin Kohler

jetty

I have been visiting this great site for a good while, but just recently joined the club. I own an A/C 5015 compact diesel and I'm considering the purchase of a 917H, but I've heard that the KT17S Twin Kohler on the 917 has a history of problems. The engine SPEC # is 24154A and the Serial # is 10195856. Does any of you have any experience with this engine? I'd appreciate any input you can offer. Jim Taylor

Jim, Welcome to the club! There were Series I and Series II KT engines from Kohler. The Series I engines did have oiling problems, especially when running around a slope, but those were corrected in the Series II.... But, I don't know enough about them to know which type that one is, based on the specs you've posted. I'm sure there's someone else here who can answer that....

Welcome to the club Jim! I have a Simplicity 17GTH with the KT17II and I love the darn thing. I've not had any sign of problem with this engine. And I have used it hard! The link Bob posted should help you identify your engine. Larry

Jim, what you have is a 1980 engine, and probably original (the 917 started in 1979). If the engine runs good and doesn't smoke, you are fine. As Kent stated they can be a problem if they have run alot on side hills and if they have been overheated. Keep the fins clean and change oil often and they will last a long time. I have a 1979 that is sill running good, uses no oil. BTW, John Deere had alot more problems with this engine with their enclosed sides (overheating).

take your time doing whatever you do with that kt17, dont abuse them, take care of them-maintain them, and theyll last you a long time.

Hi Jim and Welcome, I have an AC 917H that I bought new in 1983 and have had nothing but great service out of it. The engine is the Series II and all I've done to it other than regular oil changes, plugs and points is replaced the starter and one shaft oil seal in the front of the engine. I don't think you'll go wrong with this one Good Luck, MikeA

Hello, I have a 917 that my dad bought new. Mowed two farms with it for 15 years, then it moved to town to my grandparents for a couple years... now it has the easy life sitting in my garage relaxing. Runs great!!! Just avoid sidehills because of the oiling issue mentioned earlier!