Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kero in the gear box/tranny

G.Kiebler

On sealed bearings, if you emerse it in a thinning agent The sealed grease properties will not remain the same. I dont know if you have any in your application. To be sure a proper flush would be best done with the fluid intended for the application just more of it. Leroy

Should be OK. I have done it with diesel fuel many times, with the exception of hydros and hydraulic systems. If you are flushing rather than soaking, the kerosene or diesel should not have a chance to enter any sealed bearings. Pat

Whew, Thanks Pat. I was afraid to admit that I had already used kerosene to flush the tranny on my 312. I've noticed water getting inside the tranny so I drain it and refilled with about a quart of kerosene. let it stand for about twenty minutes and drained again. Haven't noticed any problems yet. I did look up the tranny parts list and found there are about half a dozen sealed bearing involved. Steve

I didnt bring it up to scare you . But it is important where sealed bearings are used to maintain the lube intended for the application. If the lube is displaced then the bearing is running on thinner perhaps even flamable fluid. I have not heard of a garden tractor catching on fire for an axel bearing but i have on trucks. 90 weight oil is not the perscribed lube for a wheel axel bearing. Transmissions with sealed bearings will most likely be immersed in the lube for the tranny and they may be fine but they may leak if the sealed bearing lube was displaced and are in any way exposed. Leroy

I've had my transaxle open, and if I recall correctly, most (if not all) of the sealed bearings were high up in the case. (above the level of the axle shafts). It's been a few years and my memory of it is sketchy, but with only a quart of kero, your bearings may not have even been touched. Steve