Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DA1920

ColeJ

I have a DA 1920 that will not start unless I shoot some ether into the carb. Once it starts it will restart. If it sits for some time it will not start again with out ether. I just had the float changed because it had a whole in it. Could it need adjusted?

Is the choke plate closing all the way (the cable may have stretched)? Are there any gasket leaks? Are the points clean and set properly? Have you installed new spark plugs?

This is not uncommon for these tractors with the fuel tank in the back. You could try installing a primer. But I believe you may have a very small leak some place that is draining the gas from the gas line when it sits for some time. Where I work we had the same problem (even installed a primer) until we completely when through and replaced all of the gas lines and had to clean out the tank (had problems with the tank fitting). The fuel pump on the M20 just can't pull gas all the way from the rear tank that easy.

The pump has been replaced along with new plugs. I think it might be a small leak in the gas lines. If this does not work, I will check the points. Thanks for all your help, I will let you know the outcome. My dad has a 616, 620, and a 720. When he gets the 720 finished I will try and get all three pictured and on the site. Thanks again, Jim Cole

Is it a new mechanical fuel pump? Sure does sound like a loss of prime between the fuel pump and the tank. I would check the line and fittings between the pump and tank.