Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member, sort of

FLRyder

Hey all- I joined the list awhile back, but didn't have much to add. I do have a Simplicity, though it might be one that most normal small tractor affectionados sniff at and stay clear of. I have a Simplicity CFC20 (zero turn mower) that I bought used last summer. It runs fine, and I'll post a pic when the snow clears a bit this spring. I haven't seen many discussions on these units, but It's my only 'tractor.' I set up a hitch on it and pulled Scotts broadcast spreader with good results. Enjoy- :)

Welcome! My Simplicity is called an Allis Chalmers. I also have an MTD and a riding Snaper mower. I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of your zero turn machine.:) Dan

Thanks for the warm welcome on this cold morning! This is my first tractor, as I recently moved to a home that actually requires one(big lawn), vs. my old home that took about 5 min. to mow with a walk-behind job. When I found this unit for sale, I had been looking for a commercial walk-behind mower. Upon inspection, this machine appeared well maintained, but also well-used. I bought it at a good price and am satisfied with it. The speed at which this unit can operate is pretty awesome, as it really moves fast without bogging down. Of course, a clean cut only comes with a slower ground speed. Before purchasing it, I got some advice from the Garden Web that zero-turns are best on flat ground, which describes most of my lawn. Indeed, I found that going down hill is a bit dicey, as the unit (which is ass-heavy) wants to swing around as the drive units' braking action are independant. Maybe some fine tuning of the steer levers is in order. Are Allis-Chalmers and Simplicity relatives? I work with a gal who has one that I think is from the 50's. Thanks again, and hope to meet some of you. I hear there is a gathering in NJ this summer(I'm in CT).

Welcome Tom-are AC&simplicity related?! MAN!-I thought I was a neophyte!!...You better dig into the archives and EDYOOKATE yourself...have fun-CJ

Tom, Check the History page under the Simple trACtors menu option at the top. Allis owned Simplicity for about 20 years, till Allis went out of business... and Simplicity made most of the Allis L&G equipment -- and still does.

Kent as much as you are right about allis having bought out and owned simplicity until they"bought"themsevles back,in defence of my simplicity 700 i have to say that simplicity was around way before they were invovled with allis and we all know they were building walk behinds decades before a/c was interested in the lawn and garden market.simplicity begin bulding four wheel garden tractors before a/c got interested in the lawn and garden market and then when a/c was ready simplicity built their tractors for them,later a/c bought simplicity.dont get me wrong i like a/c but i favor simplicity and all these tractors were designed by simplicity some just got other names.guess what im trying to say is simplicity is the mother company as far as im concerned.another reason i guess favor simplicity is most favor allis[gotta love the underdog]just my 2 cents[probably aint worth that] ok enough rambling....

Kent i didnt mean to sound defensive and i know that you know the history,i just think allis gets a lot of credit because of their name although simplcity done all the work.although i do think after the simplicity 700-725 that the allis's are better looking machines....i would really like to find an early wards.

It appears to me that Simplicity made a great tractor for "garden" use. Allis had the "heavy construction" expertize and financial resources to permit Simplicity to develop the attachments that are so coveted today.

Jim, I was just trying to point out the relationship -- not trying to imply one was the better company over the other. If that were the perspective -- I'd have to say that Simplicity is clearly the better-managed company. They're still around, still growing, and Allis is long dead.... IMO, Allis diversified way to far and found they didn't have the capital to be a real market leader in their primary markets... and paid the price.