Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tranny fluid

roma3112

guys A semi-redundant question, on my new sovereign i found that the fluid level is a tiny bit on the low side, i was wondering if regular atf can be used to "top off" I read the manual and looked through the chart listed in the club and all that i can come up with is to use "Simplicity multi-purpose Hydrolic oil" The level is ok enough to use until i get a quart or two of the real stuff, but i was wondering what exactly is multi-purpose Hydrolic oil, is it like dextronII type f or some other hybrid. thanks again john b

John, I've seen this question many times. The manual doesn't list equivalents in their lubrication products. I think we need an addition to our resources page listing the AC/Simplicity product and the off the shelf name brand products. Otherwise a person has to search the forum. Wouldn't need much, just hydro and gear box fluids. I'll volenteer to put it together if the membership and dealers sends me the information. Steve

I think thats a great idea if it can be all compiled, as for right now i think i will just let it go for now and get a few quarts of the oem stuff to have around. thanks john b

After looking over the lubrication chart in the shop talk forum, It seems like the "multipurpose hydraulic oil in the only mystery. I've used 15W hydraulic oil for machine tool hydraulic systems and also to lube my wife's sewing machine. Does that qualify it to be "multi-purpose" ? Steve

John, it would be wise to use the Simplicity brand while you are in the warranty window and keep receipts. Same does for the rest of the tractor. Should you have a warranty problem, you'll have proof that you used 'genuine parts'. There is a premium price for what you buy, but it also removes any doubt should you have a problem.

BLT MORE THAN SOUND ADVICE, I should have knon better before i posted this question, for sombody to spend 6k on a machine and to cheap=out on a 3 or 4$ item is kind of rediculuous. I already have a scrap book going with all the papers from the machine, actually its kind of neat to have, when my uncle passed away i found all the paperwork for his 3112h including the 1969 brocure that he wrote all the prices in. I just wish i had a brocure for my 2000 model year. Thanks for your help everybody john