Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PTO belt confusion

gregc

I have an AC Big Ten and have had a problem with kick-back when trying to engage the center pto. I have tried adjusting the tension of the pto clutch assembly but still have the problem. Next I wanted to check to see if the belt size was right and I found that there are three different belts listed if you include the Landlord 101 (both tractors have the same pto parts). In the parts manuals for both the Big Ten and Landlord 101 the pto belt listed is #154307 (35"). In the Belt and Blade Ready Reference the Landlord 101 pto belt listed is #121078 (35.1") and the Big Ten pto belt listed is #164146 (34.1"). Something has to be wrong here. I currently have the #121078 belt on the tractor and was told by my Simplicity dealer that this was the belt that I should use but I am thinking that maybe the belt is too long and is causing the kick-back upon engagement. Any ideas? What size pto belts are other Landord 101 and Big Ten owners using? Greg

Greg, I'm not sure what you mean about kickback... I'm using the 34" one on my Big Ten. I found that with a 35" one, the idler pulley would go in so far that it would sometimes rub against the lower PTO pulley...

Kent, What I meant by kickback is that upon trying to engage the pto, the engagement lever would be forced back at me and hurt hand or wrist. I finally started engaging the pto by pushing the lever with my foot. Maybe I should try the 34" belt too. Thanks. Greg

I think it's belt length causing it, and the idler is going over center so far that its probably hitting the bottom pulley. If you'll watch it closely when you carefully engage it, you'll probably see that happening....

Kent, I think you are right about the cause but I won't be engaging the pto with my hand again until I change that belt. Thanks. Greg

Tried it without motor running but didn't have the mower and belt installed on the tractor so I pulled out on the pto to simulate the mower being installed. Then I engaged the pto and the idler pulley looked like it could hit the drive pulley instead of the driven pulley. The idler pulley was bent so it had to hit something. I'll know for sure when I put the mower back on and try it again. Thanks a lot. Greg

Greg, check the position of the spring on the engagement lever. It may have slipped and the engagement lever is not going over center or it may be fully compressing the spring (solid). Twice I have had to fix this problem for some other people and both times found the engagement lever/spring assembled wrong, where the spring was not doing anything.

Thanks Mike, I had tried different adjustments of the spring and set collar to stop the kickback but that didn't help. I'm still thinking that the belt may be too long. I'll know more when I put the mower back on and try everyones suggestions and check the adjustments over again. That may be spring though. Greg Greg