Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Changing tires with mini changer

gregc

Yesterday I used my mini tire changer for the first time to remove a set of turf tires and mount a set of 23/8.50 x 12 Ag's. Removing the turf tires was a snap using the bead breaker tool then the demount tool. Then came the trouble. Trying to mount the 4 ply Ag tires with the remount tool was a real struggle. Maybe I wasn't doing something just right. I had the rims of the tires soaped up good but the length of the remount tool was just too short to get enough leverage to get the tire over the wheel rims without major straining. I think if I had a piece of steel pipe to slip over the end of the remount tool to lengthen it all would have been fairly easy. There will be a handle extension there next time. Anyone else have this problem or was it possibly a case of me not holding my mouth right?

The first few times, I used mine, I experienced the same problem. There seems to be a short learning curve. Mostly, just a manipulation thing. It does help to have the changer bolted to something. I bolt mine to an old truck wheel, lug holes. Keeps it a little more steady. Once, you get the feel for the tool and the process, its gets much easier.

Greg, Is the mini tire changer like the ones offered at Northern tool or Harbor frieght? I've mentioned how useful one of these would be around here... I took a tire count: 62 tires and rims for tractors, trailers, cars, and trucks. Reminds me of the Cylinder Index (CI). If this is a sturdy product then I hope the numbers convince the wife of the need. Steve

Steve, Yes, mine came from Northern Tool. Not sure it would change over a 12" tire though. I've think I've got about 24 or so sets of wheels and tires that are 12" or less around here. Art, I've got my changer bolted to a heavy work bench and it didn't move, only me. The second tire did go on easier but I thought it would be even easier with the handle extension for extra leverage. Greg

If you get the tire bead to the center of the wheel instead of the shoulder near the rim, they should just about fall on by themselves.

I did have the bead as close to center as I could get get it and hold it. I must have got a set of the snug fit, hip hugger tires cause they didn't just fall on. Greg

i got my mini tire changer at a auction paid 15.00 for it ,it does take a little getting used to.it is a little to small for anything bigger than a 12" rim .but the good news is harbor freight does have a unit that is designed for larger rims .i just picked one up at the auction for 10.00 .they have a tire balancer also [thats next on my list to aquire]with the cost of getting tires broke down and mounted it won't take long to recope the cost .:)

James, Sounds like you have some good auctions in your area. Welcome to the club. Here's the tire changer from Harbor freight:

Change Tires on the Job! Change tires at a fraction of the cost! No expensive 220V power hookups or pneumatic lines. Handles all tires from 8" to light truck (7.5 x 16 and flotation tires up to size 12.5L16). Use in the shop or on the farm--you can even mount tires at the jobsite. All steel construction. Dimensions: 15" x 18" base, 7-1/2" diameter x 3/16" thick wheel rest plate Shipping weight: 42 lbs. ITEM 34542-0VGA $39.99

Greg a my good friend and tractor partner has one of those in his shop that gets used weekly at least. It's just a matter of getting the practice. I have changed over 25 tires in one afternoon. It's my experience that the smaller tires(4-6" rims) are the hardest. I also recomend mounting the changer to a heavy bench. We made a mount from square steel tubing to bolt the changer too, then found another piece of tubing just big enough to slide the mount into and bolted that piece to the bench on a corner. When you are not using the changer it slips out and stores under the bench. Makes a handy system but still does not clutter up a bench top. Larry

Hi Greg, I too have one of those Small tire changers from Northern Tool and have experienced the same thing on some of the stiffer tires. But on the bigger floppy tires like 26x12x12 and I found a little dish water soap works good for mounting even on the real hard ones. Like Dutch said they practicly fall on the rim.And I welded a plate to a piece of square tube then bolted the changer to the plate and mounted it on the Reese reciever of my pickup..may not be the fanciest rig but it works good for me.Plus it beats wrestling them around on the ground like I used to. Marc..

Marc, Glad to hear that maybe the stiffer tire was giving me the trouble. Gives me hope. I'm ready to go again now. Thanks. Greg