Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Correct front tires for 2012?

thedaddycat

OK guys, I got these tires on e-Bay. They are as close as I have found to the OEM front tires for the 2012. Do they pass the test? Are they the right ones? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20544&item=2087815322

Kirk, My IPL shows that the 4.80x4.00x8" tires were used on the 2012. Not until you got to the Sovereign models did the size go to 16x16.50x 8's. But hey, if you need rims/bearings that auction was still a good deal. I called Carlisle tire directly, got a local distributor name/number, ordered them for local pickup, and got VERY significant savings over internet or mail order places. I think my new 16x16.50x8's were about $16.00 each. Tucker tire and others couldn't touch this price (especially when shipping is tagged on). Hope it helps, Tom(PK)

Guys, the page on the 2012 on the home page: http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1962/features.htm reads that the 2012 had 6.50 X 8 tires on the front. Judging by that, the tires are the right size. The tread is different on these tires for the 2012, but correct for the 7000 series. Pat

Looks good to me. As I said in an earlier post, both sizes were available for the 10hp and the 12hp. The 4 inch was standard on the 10hp and the wider ones were standard on the 12hp. Switching tire sizes between them was an option offered to the customer depending on their uses for the tractor. I prefer the narrow tire since it turns easier, but looks wise, wider is always better.

Yes, I recall the discussion about the option of tire size. I'm trying to get it as close as possible to what it would have had from the factory. The hard part is figuring out what that was... If you look closely at the pics of the tractor with different implements, etc. you will see that some have black tranny, others orange. Trying to pick details out can be problematic. I have found it vexingly so with the oldest ones, the 700 and 725. This pic shows wide tires with a pattern that's very close to those I got. I'll be cleaning them up and putting them on the freshly painted rims that have been sitting patiently waiting..... http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/1967_2012/landlord_2012.htm

My 7010-6, Landlord, came with narrow tires and that was standard according to operators manual. Upgraded to wide tires when someone scrapped out an old Sov. Didn't cost nothing and they look better. Now is that 'hacking' or modicification? Now I have an under powered Sov, as at that they were both the same except for front tires and engine from what I can see in parts book. Guess I'll have to find a 16HP engine.

Guess my wife is right.....I'm an oddball. My 3012 had the 16/6.50/8 tires on it when new according to the dealer that I got it from. He sold it new and took it back in trade when I got it this summer. I like the looks of the narrow tires so I switched to the 4.80/8's that were on my salvage parts 2110 frame. I think they will look better with 23/8.50/12 Ag tires. Bob that's not hacking.....just fitting the right parts for the job at hand. Larry

All this time I've been looking at front tires and I may have had the right ones sitting out in the yard the whole time.... These are the REAR tires from the 515 Serf, size 16-6.50 X 8. Is this the correct OEM pattern for the 2012? The others from e-Bay are a close match, especially when you have no other reference than the pics from the sales literature, but are these the real deal?

Kirk, that is the pattern and size of the original front tires on my HB-212, B-212, B-112, and my Simplicity 3112. Pat

Kirk, If you look here, http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1962/features.htm you will find under Standard Equiptment that the front tires were 6.50-8 "Terra-Tires". You should find on the sidewall of the tires on the 515 Serf, Goodyear and Terra-Tire. Terra-Tire is Goodyear's name for that style tire. This should be the correct tire for your 2012. The tires you bought on ebay are Carlisle Turf-Saver tires, I would say from looking at the ad. Greg

That's good news, I just went out and double checked and that's exactly what they are. I had hoped to find a set of OEM tires and they were right here all along. Having the other ones as spares is fine with me, too. I'm sure they won't go to waste.