Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Re-paint criteria

BLT

I have read a lot about re-painting and am wondering what the criteria is. I can understand a bucket of rust but everything works fine. I can under stand show pieces. I can understand 'herculian' rebuilds such as Kent and his AC's. If he didn't paint them yellow, he would have 35 colors of prime. I saw Don Vogt's 700 and from the picture some eblow grease might bring back the finish. I have been somewhat lucky that one three of the four Simp's that I have, their paint jobs have been pretty decent and I can bring out their finish with some rubbing compound and a top coat of wax. My Sunstar will be a challange. They're no showroom pieces but nothing I have to be ashamed about either. As I use all four in at one point or another I will develop scratches and nicks that they already have. I have some rust spots here and there but nothing really glaring. Just a question to toss up. Or is this one of those 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder' thing?

Bob, IMO, the longer you can maintain the original paint job, the better off you are. I don't think that anything you could paint it with, short of powder-coating it, will hold up like the original paint job did.... While I use spray-bombs on my tractors, I've either painted or helped paint VWs with quality duPont and PPG paints (including one high-$$$ Imron paint job), and none are as durable as the factory baked on finishes. The Imron was good, but not as good, IMO... So, if it looks "good enough" then I think you'll be better served long-term just touching it up and keeping it waxed....

I think there are many criteria when determining whether or not to do a repaint. Several of them, you mentioned. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Well, ones idea of beauty is certainly a factor in making the decision. I also, look at the condition of the machine. If it appears to be in fairly good condition, (rust free) I will opt for a good cleaning and some wax. If it has been stored outside, and has started to rust, then comes the paint. My method, of not taking it down to bare metal, will not look as good as the original, nor the professionally painted, powder-coat jobs, but it will look nice, and help the machine, to slow down the rust process. Since, I only hand sand and wire brush, the existing rust, and maintain the bulk, of the original paint, the job, is also going to hold up well. As one savvy member, stated, "its all about saving old iron". Twenty years from now my son, may want to take my spray-can paint jobs, down to bare metal, and the tractor, will be there, when he does. See my before and after pics.....link. [url]http://www.geocities.com/arjr111/photopagespiral3.html[/url]

I feel that it's in the eye of the beholder. My personal preferance, unless rust is threatening, is to leave it as original. You can't properly prepare a unit for paint without compete disassmebly. I think peeling paint around a seam that could not be properly repaired, or an off colored touch up area both look a lot worse than the original damage or imperfection. Pat

If its something I'm going to use daily I don't get to excited about painting it unless its realy bad. You always feel bad when you get a scratch it otherwise

I agree with attempting to keep it as original as possible...at least the overall sheet metal (hood, fenders) but when it comes to rims & hubs that are rusted or look rough, the tractors appearance is greatly improved with a sand, prime and repaint.

I just enjoy the restoration process of making them look new again. Maybe it's sorta related to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? I also enjoy taking them apart just to see how they're engineered and how things work. I have especially enjoyed restoring different makes of tractors to compare how they're made. I've done a Simplicity Landlord 101, a John Deere 110, a Wheel Horse 875 hydro and have several others waiting to do. I am still impressed by the "simplicity" and functionality of Simplicity engineering.

I also agree on keeping it original if at all possible. It is very hard to get a new paint job to last as long as the factory one. On the other hand my tractors have mostly been rescued ones that have been in tough shape when I found them. I intend to use (play with) my tractors so a good clean up and prime and paint with a spray can is the usual route I take. I use the best spray paint I can find locally, the advantage is if you need touch ups you can do it yourself and not spend a lot more than another spray can and a little time. The exception to this may be the b-1 I just found. I am trying to decide if I should take it apart and start from the ground up or do a quick sand and paint on it. The decals and seat parts will run close to $200.00 and if I am going to go that far with this one I may go all the way. The guy who I got it from had started to sand it down and wrecked any chance of leaving it original. :)Mike

BLT: Do what pleases you. It is for your enjoyment. Resale value is not high enough to drive anyone's decision. I have two that I am going to put back near original, and one that will never become original, because I like it much better the way it is now. If it is a show tractor, then keep it original, and you and everyone eles can enjoy looking at it. If it is a work tractor, then do what you need to make your work easier and more fun. Enjoy!