Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign creeps

ROBBYDOB

Hello all! My 97' Sovereign creeps backwards when I put it in "stop" position. The machine is "new" to me, I've looked at it, and I guess I'm not sure of the correct way to adjust the control rod. I can see where the pins go through the rod to hold the little "washers", but I can't see the way to solve the problem. Oh, could it be the bushing is worn on the arm to the pump? (just thought of that.) Thanks, Rob

Common problem.......... You can try adjusting exactly per manual. If that doesn't work, you can try to "block" the linkage spring. I modified mine to disengage the hydro when the parking brake is applied.

rob mine does the same thing and it is only about a week old i am sure it is just an adjustment if you need that page out of the manual let me know i can try to send it to you. I have not adjusted it yet am just waiting for the weekend and some warmer weather (hopefully) john

quote:
Originally posted by roma3112
rob mine does the same thing and it is only about a week old i am sure it is just an adjustment if you need that page out of the manual let me know i can try to send it to you. I have not adjusted it yet am just waiting for the weekend and some warmer weather (hopefully)
john When it gets warmer?! What are you going to do when it really gets cold? lol!:D

One additional thing to check besides the "Neutral Adjustment" procedure in the manual. Check the tightness of the bolt that attaches the bottom of the "Ground Speed Control Lever" to the frame and control strap (bottom pivot point). It isn't noted in the manual. I played with the neutral adjustment for about two-three+ hours and still could not get the tractor to stop creeping. Naturally it happened in the middle of last winter with the snowcab on so I could not raise the seat. Didn't want to remove the snowcab so I got a short handled box wrench to "play" with the Cam Pivot Shaft Jam nut. Nothing seemed to work! Well, to make a long story (and alot of cussing) short,..I finally got under the tractor and followed the linkage to the control strap to the Speed lever (DUH!). Sure enough, the Ground Speed lever bolt was loose (slightly) and caused small amount of play in the control strap. Since the control strap did not fully engage the cam assembly into neutral, the tractor kept creeping in reverse. This also caused all my neutral adjustments to be off as well...grrrrrrrr. Tightened (torgued) the Speed lever bolt to spec., rechecked the neutral adjustment and have not had any creeping problems since. Hope it may help.