Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member / Old A-C

mike_dekarz

Hello all, been lurking for awhile and finally set up a user account. Really enjoy the site. My best buddy since childhood (in Western NY) just acquired the B-10 in my profile photo. He bought it from the second owner who purchased it as a 1 year old trade-in. It had beewn purchased new for use at a cemetery but was reportedly not well adapted to whatever condition it was used under. I often admired this little A-C as the owner was our neighbor. There was good market penetration by Simplicity in our area but this was the only A-C I ever recall seeing. It has the original 9 HP B&S which has never been rebuilt and is basically untouched in every respect. The headlights and snow thrower were touched up by it's nearly 40-year owner but the remainder of the paint is reportedly original. Interestingly we have noted that the armrest supports are painted rather than plated as they seem to be in the original sales info. The sides of the dash assembly are also yellow as can be readily seen in the photo. My friend has micro-inspected it and is in full agreement with the 40-year owner's sentiment that this is in fact the way it was delivered new. There is a replacement layer of vinyl carefully installed over the original pleated seat bottom. It also came with a perfect non-rusted original-paint mower deck and a full set of replacement belts. It has bolstered our faith that "they're still out there"...it compliments my pal's near-mint one-owner 3112H but that's another story...

Welcome to the club,Wow thats a very nice tractor you have there.Would like to see the 3112H as well. Thanks for sharing that photo and story with us.

Thanks guys for the compliments. Any early B-10 experts out there that can comment as to the painted armrests and the dash sides? Is this a variation or perhaps typical of 1964 production? We are grateful for any information offered. I have an additional picture or two that my friend took when he picked it up...I'll try to add them to my profile but to protect the previous owner's privacy will "retouch" them a little to protect his identity. As for the 3112H I'll see if he can get some pix of it on here as well. It came with the mower deck, snow thrower, vac/trailer combo as well as the original paperwork.

Very nice tractor Mike. The dash side were originally painted the off white, same as rims and dash front. The arm rest bars were originally chrome. The early B-10 is my favorite of all the B-series. Is that the optional 10 inch drive pully?...nice. If you look at pictures in the Allis section it will show the correct hood decals and colors for the parts. The generator is suppose to be black. Your grill looks new, I dont think I have ever seen one in this good of condition.

All indications are that all of the paint is 100% original except for the headlights (and the snow thrower). The gentleman from whom my friend purchased it had owned it since 1965 and had only re-painted the headlights (due to one of them incurring minor damage). This machine will most decidedly not be restored but rather super-detailed and preserved. As such we are reluctant to scrape away any paint, however, we'll report any forthcoming findings that would suggest that this isn't the way it was painted when new.

Hi Mike, nice machine. Never heard of one with the armrest frame, painted from the factory. All the pics. always show them in chrome. When I redid the seat, on my B's, I repainted the frames in chrome. Whom-ever, redid your seat, may have repainted in yellow.

Hello Mike & welcome!! I've got an early B-10 like yours, and, like cleanbee said, my seat is chromed and the panels are on off white. Nice looking tractor regardless!

It seems to have the early B-10 grill, the late B-10 hood or hood decals, and I have never seen a B-10 decal like the one on the side panel. I am relcutant to say that it is not original, as I have long wondered if there weren't some "special" models built. My first AC (before I became "hooked") was a B-112 that I took in on trade and sold a few months later. It was AC orange and appears to be an original paint job. When I found that the B-112 was yellow, I visited the person that purchased this tractor from me and gave the tractor a thorough "inspection". All the decals are installed over orange paint. The paint is weathered to what one would expect from a tractor of that age (that has had reasonable care). There is no sign of yellow paint anywhere. Under scratches, inside the frame, nowhere. If this tractor has been repainted, it was completetly disassembled, stripped to the bare metal, and professionally redone. This was between ten and twelve years ago, and the paint was not new then. At least in this area, I would doubt that someone had performed a "frame up" restoration prior to my acquiring it. I will try to contact the owner this week. If he still has the tractor, I will see if I can get some pics to post. Pat

Hi Mike, did the snowthrower, also come with it. It appears to have been re-painted. I believe the chute, should be white.

Hello all. My name is Jim Coffed. I am new to the forum although I look at the website almost daily. I am the lucky coservator of the early B-10 that my best buddy, Mike DeKarz recently posted. Thanks, Mike. A few words about the tractor: - it starts and runs great and idles down to where you can almost count the firing impulses. -as far as i can tell the paint is all original except for the snow thrower and headlites. - the tractor was used mostly for mowing and very seldom for snow hence its nice appearance. -it was always garage-kept. -it has all the dealer and factory decals -the snowthrower is a hoot to watch in operation with lots of flailing belts and pulleys. -It has hi speed and low speed drive pulleys to be used depending on the job being done. These pulleys need to be physically changed depending on the speed range desired. I hope to be posting detailed photos of the B-10 and 3112H soon. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/mike_dekarz/B-10.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/mike_dekarz/B-10_2.jpg[/img]

Nice tractor Mike and Jim. Your grill looks exactly like my 1963 B-10's. The hood does not. My arm rests are chrome also. You might want to check serial numbers on the tractor and the engine. I suspect your B-10 may be 1963 also.I don't claim to know a lot about these models,just an observation of mine. Welcome to the club. Fred Wood

I've never seen yellow headlights and headlight bar on a B-series, either. All I've seen were black or black with a chrome bezel... Same goes for the starter-generator. I haven't seen yellow ones.

The headlights were repainted after one suffered some minor damage but the headlight bar has original paint. While not real obvious in the picture(s) the headlights are several shades of yellow apart from the original A-C yellow on the rest of the machine. presumably it's long-time owner utilized some off-the-shelf rattlecan yellow. Same for the touch-up on the snow thrower. Every other spec of yellow paint on the tractor is the exact same shade and "patined" to an identical 40-year-old level (top-side, bottom-side, under the hood, etc). Perhaps we can get Jim to post it's serial number. Jim??

It's is pretty difficult, to ascertain from the pics., and it may just be the lighting conditions, or the computers color, but, the color, looks closer to my B's, that have been repainted, off-color, cat. yellow, than to the original, more lemon color. If, Mike's, AC-B, is factory original painted, it is indeed, unusual, and in such nice shape!! Here's a pic., of my "off-color", B-10, for comparison. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/b10after.JPG[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by arjr111
It's is pretty difficult, to ascertain from the pics., and it may just be the lighting conditions, or the computers color, but, the color, looks closer to my B's, that have been repainted, off-color, cat. yellow, than to the original, more lemon color. If, Mike's, AC-B, is factory original painted, it is indeed, unusual, and in such nice shape!! Here's a pic., of my "off-color", B-10, for comparison. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/b10after.JPG[/img]

Thank you to everyone for the input on the B-10. Armed with that, I am going to carefully look at the paint on this tractor and get the SN. (OK, Mike?) Can AC tractors be dated knowing the serial #?. Where is the serial #? arjr111: That sure is a pretty tractor you have there! Still getting used to the forum. I may have posted some stuff that doesn't make sense.;)

One last pic that Jim snapped the day he picked up the B-10. It more clearly depicts the incorrect yellow of the re-sprayed headlights and the snow thrower. Can't wait to see those rims degreased and carefully polished/waxed a little

Jim I hope you don't think we are picking apart your machine. We are just tring to help in proper identification. It really looks like a sharp tractor. Just my two cents worth. Fred Wood

I just noticed, also, that it has the Late B-10 hood decals, not the early type. I'm still guessing that it was repainted long ago... Here's the early B-10 type decal: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b-10_old/b-10_cvr_sm.jpg[/img]

I think I can speak for Jim in that we are both very appreciative of everyone's help on the B-10 and are by NO means offended by anyone's observations or suggestions. In fact it is this type of historical research that both of us find really satisfying (although our wives may question such obssesion..hehehe). As I stated earlier Jim bought it from the gentleman who purchased it (as per his recollection) as an approximately 1-year-old trade-in at a western NY dealer. The gentleman related to Jim that he'd only repainted the headlights and snow-thrower in his nearly 40 years of ownership, but I suggested to Jim that perhaps we should politely revisit the subject with him. Would be interesting if the family has any old family photos with the B-10 in it's early years. I frequently admired this machine as a child but can't honestly recollect whether it ever had a white dash, different decals, etc. Is it possible that the dealer somehow took it in with some sort of cosmetic damage and then rebuilt/repainted it prior to resale back in 1965/66? Jim thinks not based on his examinations. He is supposed to be verifying the serial number this weekend. We have discussed the prospect of the B-10 coming South but I think all this interest is causing him to rethink...hehehehe...:)

Here is a picture of my AC B-10 made in 1966. This picture was taken after painting the tractor and waiting to buy a seat.And rebuilding the 10hp engine. [img]http://www.simplicityva.com/Image067.jpg[/img] These are the original deacals on the tractor and new tires. Karl ;):D

Gorgeous B-10, Karl! I am on the learning curve with regards to the specifics of A-C garden tractors, despite the fact that I grew up across the street from the B-10 in question (we had a Cub Cadet 127). We really had our interest level raised when Jim got the 3112H and we then got tuned in to this fabulous site. When the B-10 became available last month Jim didn't hesitate! I am going to give him a quick call to see if he made note of the serial number this weekend (hopefully he also took some more pictures). Thanks everyone for the continued support and interest.