Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Correct type of bgb fluid?

roma3112

guys on my new sovereign i was wondering if i needed to top off the fluid what i should be using. In the manual i have it refers to "muti-purpose POWERTRAIN fluid for the bgb. On the quart of multipurpose hydrolic transmission oil i got at my simp dealer yesterday it says it is good for hydro trannys except peerless good for bgb's except powermax. This is what i found on the chart here in the club:7000, 7100, GTH-L, Sovereign 700, 900 2800 Bevel Gearbox Simplicity Multi-Purpose Hydraulic Oil 16 oz. (Fill to bottom of dipstick) i guess my confusion lies with the manual refering to the bgb fluid as "powertrain fluid" and in the next paragraph (for the tranny) refering to the correct fluid as multipurpose hyd transmission fluid. Are these fluids 1 in the same? Judging by the thickness and the smell of the bgb fluid in the new sovereign it sure isnt using 90wt as the old 3112h's bgb used. Any help would be appreciated, also would the capacity of 16oz be correct for the newer bgb's thanks john b

Hi John, my 16HP Lanlord, GTG, calls for 10w 30. In the trans. Not really sure, from your post exactly which machine, you are checking for. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com[/url]

John You were right to assume that the fluids you named are the same, I usually add about a pint then keep checking the level, don't over fill it. note that other fluids that are compatable are AGCO 821 power fluid, case IH Hi-tran.,JD torque gard. Cal

And just remember to put the bottom drain plug back in tight before you fill it. Filled my BGB yesterday and came back out today in the garage and had a puddle on the floor.[:0] Checked the bottom plug and found that I had forgotten to tighten it back up.:D