Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

coupling 20 HP Onan

Leroy

I have the 7117 and the motor went out after after the second year of mowing. Many folks say they had an oiling problem so i have avoided a direct replacement and found a 20 HP onan. I have heard they are very strong motors But then i heard that about kohler too. I dont have a coupler for it and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the lovejoy couplers or shaft to shaft couplers or shaft to flat of any other brand?

I think at one time Onan was an engine offered by Simplicity. This site has many ways of finding out. For starts look in engine information. As far as Lovejoy, it would take some imagineering to make it work, but it might have been done by somebody.

Hi Leroy, I would go with the kohler ohv series. It is a very reliable motor, and has great torque output. Plus you can order the kit from Al Eden, or the parts from simplicity. In addition, the parts for the kohlers are less expensive. Onan is the only military small engine ( as far as I know) from all of the american manufactures. This means the parts are expensive! Take Care Neal

Hmm... I’m not sayin'' they’re ''cheap''. If I could afford to go Honda, I would. As one of the posts in an earlier forum noted, Onan parts are available from Sears and, sometimes cheaper! I can re-ring, re-grind the valves and seals & gaskets on a CCKB for about 400. It’s A LOT cheaper than 1200 for the Honda. I don’t know I’d tackle the repower myself, I agree w/Neal. If you want to do that, Al's a pretty reputable guy & quite knowledgeable. I would probably go that way if they didn’t have a ''drop in'' engine for it. Yet, Another opinion! JP