Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

paint colors

Hey everyone, I was wondering if the Allis Chalmers orange paint and the Simplicity orange are different shades. If anyone could help me out with that, that would be great (seeing that I don't know the difference between these two shades). Thanks! Mark

Simplicity had 3 different tones. The first, actually being close to red, is now discontinued. Currently there is "Powder" and "Classic" orange. I can't say how they compare to AC.

Mark, this might not help you but maybe it might be worth it to spend a few Bucks. Dupi-Color paint makes 2 colors of Chevy engine orange. I can't recall the #'s write off now but the older chevy color is a bright orange and the newer one is more of a reddish orange. I use this paint on all of my attachments and touch up on my tractors also and for the early tractors from 1963 on threw I beleive about 1969 the bright orange is almost a dead match-talking about Simplicity here- Might be worth the few bucks-Best to all->happyjack<-

Hi Mark, Your Simplicity dealer can order the paint in quarts, gallons or spray cans, and most shades are still available. They'll usually have the spray cans around for touch-up. You mentioned AC-color paint. If you're considering that cheap Tractor paint like most farms stores have, don't, it fades the first year. Most good autopaint stores will have an Agriculture Equipment list you can select from. Allis-Chalmers "Corporate Orange" may come the closest to what Simplicity is using today. Also autopaint stores will have computer matching systems to determine the correct match. Way cool.

This spring I painted my pulling tractor and gathered up what Simplicity was offering. "Powder Orange" matched my AC 712 almost perfect (the 712 was repainted before me and it may not be a perfect original color). "Deep Orange" was the color I used as it had more red in it and matched the original color of the tractor (a 1971 3314V) and also my 1974 3414S Baron. These paints are enamel and hard to work with (they require xylene as thinner). Good Luck MikeES