Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Begining or end

ReedS

Can't tell wether this is the begining or the end or the begining of the end or..... I've finally have have something done the 700.

Out with the old in with the new.

Bgb's,hopefully can get one good one original case ng,gears ng in the replacement. Poor old girl she had multiple failures but hope to put 'er back together soon:D

Reed, It must be the beginning, because I don't think this addiction ever ends.... I'm not sure there's a cure -- you can only treat the symptoms with more tractors. :D Kent

Looks like your on the way, it's never the end for these old tractors, just new beginings. Good luck and happy tractoring. :D

Good Luck Reed, At least your BGB has a bolt holding the gear on the input shaft. Mine didn't even have that on my old box I took off the tractor. This bolt or washer was nowhere to be seen and the bearing race looked like an egg. BUT , all better now and the old girl is happy. Kris

Reed, is that an AC700 series tractor? If so what size rear tires are those? My 712 has 23 X 8.50 X 12s and they look wider than yours. What were the OEM tires? I admire a man that has the nerve to take his tractor apart. Sure hope I never have to do that. So many of you guys in this club know so much more than I do about that. Good Luck, Reed - keep the pics coming as you progress. Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Dan To answer your question this is a 1961(near as I can tell) Simplicity Wonderboy 700. The tires shown here are 6.00x12 and appear to be original. I've had a chance to disassemble the bgb shown in the tank,and its looks like the input shaft can be saved, however the case is junk. The front bearing seat will no longer hold the needle bearing in place, in fact the bearing came out on the shaft. Surprisingly the beaaring looks fine but since I have a set of new bearings and seals I don't think that I'll take any chances with it. I'm thinking that I might assemble it tommorow. On another note I spoke to my local auto eng machine shop the other day about machining the 7hp b/s and was told that there was a good possibility that they could handle it. I guess that is what I'll be working on next after the bgb is done.

Reed, I will also be working soon on my Simplicity 725. My 725 also has some problems in the bevel box and a sized engine. I have bought a B&S model 19 with a broken rod to use in the tractor. I'am still waiting for some parts for the engine. Karl;)8D

Latest update on the 700 project,I've assembled the bgb however I've found that the input shaft rear bearing retainer was just a tad fatigued. Guess I'll need a new one along with the cover gasket that I didn't have. For the ease of storage I've assembled the bgb/transaxle and attached the front frame,I'm also hoping to get it to body shop on monday so the guys can look at it and give me an idea on the best approach to putting the old girl into a new dress. I've also finished cleaning the engine parts to get them ready for whatever machine work will be needed.Since it measured sligtly under size it looks like I may have to go .010 or .020 on the crank pin or maybe the rod can be closed up just a hair. I couldn't measure the bore since I left the bore guage at the shop oops! [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/reeds/DSCN0282m.jpg[/img]

Reed The file extension for pictures is .jpg not .jpeg Are you typing in this whole string or are you copy and pasting. The reason I ask is that I found a few mistakes in the string. Also you had http:/www. It should be http://www. If you are posting a picture that all ready is on the web right click on it, left click on properties, on address (URL) left click and hold at the start of the string and drag the cursor across the complete string to highlight it. Right click on the highlighted string. Left click on copy. Then paste it between the Img brackets [ IMG ]here[ /IMG ]. When uploading pictures to the site in a post Always put your cursor on a new line before clicking on the paper clip icon. Check the file name for the picture you want to upload. Be sure that it does not have any spaces or symbols like $%# in the file name if it does change the file name before you upload. Just some suggestions.

Thanks Maynard Most of my difficulties the other night were most likely related to having only one eye open. I tried attaching from both the paperclip and image symbols but was having no luck from either. I guess I'll just have to try again and again and again..... [img]uploaded/reeds/DSCN0284m.jpg[/img] This is view of the model 19 after cleaning, I was trying to post this the other night as well.