Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Magnetic Block Heater

IronPony

I was looking on eBay and found some Kat's Magnetic engine block heaters. I had heard of heaters that were held on oil pans using magnets but have never used one. Searched the web a little and found very little info other than they are recommended for use on small engines. They come in 200w/8sq in and 300w/20 sq in models. Has anyone ever used one of these on their tractor? I don't have a heated garage so I'm interested in some sort of engine heater. Dan

First of all most engines are made out of aluminum. That doesn't attract magnets. Next for the pan heater to be really effective , the heater has to be placed in the bottom of the pan for the heat to work up.

I had good luck with one of these on a car, I don't know about the tractor though. I have a pretty generic way of heating the block on my tractor. I use a big heat pad that you would use on your back. I don't know how safe or efficient it is but it works for me. If you throw an old sheet over the top it seems to work!

quote:
Originally posted by Leroy
Here is a non magnetic variety. http://www.gillettegenerators.com/accs/engheat1.html
There is a caution here, however. You have to get the heating element completely submersed in oil or you will burn out element real quick. You'll notice that you have to tap out your oil pan for the element and thermostat. To do it right you should take off oil pan and look inside it to make sure you have no other interrfernce points to contend with such as oil dipper, pan construction, ect.

I would hope it would sit in the oil drain plug hole with no problem. Maybe asking them what small engines they tried them on would help. communication is the key.

My tractor has a Kohler K301 which is cast iron. These heaters (Kats Magnetic)seem to be designed to magneticly attach to either the bottom of the oil pan or side of the block. I think I would have enough room towards the front bottom of the engine on my AC712 to put the heater flat on the side of the block. Guess no one else has tried one.? Dan

The heater sold by Gillette seems pretty high priced. MSC sells threaded heaters in a range of wattages and voltages. I looked at their site for those and couldn't locate. I'll use my big book at work Monday, that's where I found them initially. Their prices are only in the $17 to $50 range. No thermostat with these but neither do alot of heaters used for engines. This is the type of heater I'm considering for my tractors. Steve

Here is the Kats Magnetic Heater I saw on eBay- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400494857

Dan, for a one winter I tried a magnetic heater on my 12hp Briggs. It really did not work that well because you really cannot get a good place to get good surface contact (I still have the heater and use for a magnet but not a heater). It works the best on a oil pan with the thinner metal and smooth surface and tranferring the heat to a liquid (oil). Sticking it to the side of the block will put some heat to the engine but the metal is also wicking the heat away faster than you put it in. Ideal would be to stick it to the bottom of the oil pan which you cannot get to. My opinion >>> don't bother.

I believe MPH uses a heating pad like this one. If anybody knows cold weather starting it's Marty. :)

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/ FIVE STAR Universal Silicone Hot Pad Heater: KATS® Part Number: 24075 Our Price: $14.99

Well I dont know about price because of the electric bills in your neighborhood. but a 100 watt light bulb and a space blanket will warm the unit up. Who knows ya might find a critter snuggled up close too. It's not the upperclass type o thing to use, But the the 100 watt bulb is used to bake cakes in those little toy ovens.

I think you all have given really good advice. So far I have had little trouble getting my tractor started without an additional heat source. It seemed like a good idea at the time I saw it on eBay. I won't be bidding on it. Thanks, you saved me a couple of dollars. Dan

I used a 100 watt light bulb in an aluminum reflector to warm the engine up today. With that, and a shot of ether, my B-1 fired right up.