Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas Consumption

mitten

Has anyone an answer to this? My 3212H will use 1/3 more fuel mowing the same amount of grass then any of my other tractors. I know that the Hydro takes about 2 hp away from the power of the tractor but that should not cause it to use more fuel.Even my B10 repowered to 16 hp uses the same amount of fuel as the B110 to mow the same grass. Has anyone experienced this?

You have a tough question to answer. Put another way, you are asking how come my Ranger pick up with a 4 cyl stick gets better gas mileage then the same truck with a V6 and automatic. If driven it the right way, the 4cyl wins. The hydro is not as efficient as a gear drive transmission and a little more power is required to run the hydro. Hence the 2 horsepower you noted has to be added to the work load, a 10 horsepower load would require 2 more horsepower adding to you fuel consumption. A fair comparison would be like for like tractors. Now you have a gauge to compare to. Also the drive line efficencies such a BGB and mower deck might be different. Carb setting, engine condition and air cleaner condition are another factor. Put in a nutshell there isn't a real easy answer to the question.

As Bob said, many things. It could be the carb and how its feeding gas. The condition of the engine (weak engine would be in the govenor more). I have generally found that in the old cast iron singles that the B&S with the updraft carb. are more fuel efficient than the Kohlers with the side draft carb. One reason the Kohlers are preferred in tractor pulling, is that you can get more fuel into the Kohler. To mow my yard my HB212 with B&S uses about 2 gals of gas. The 712H with a Kohler uses over close to 3 gals of gas. The Kubota B2400 with a 3cyl. diesel uses about 1 gal.