Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fountain of gas

I started up the (up to now) old relieable Deutz-Allis 613H and it took a little longer to start, but it ran real rich when it started (no choke). Then I started smelling raw gas and looked under the hood and gas was dripping from the air cleaner. When I opened the cover, there was gas in the corner. When I opened up the throttle a fountain spray of gas began shooting out of the tube from the crankcase!! I suspect the float is stuck, but this is the first twin Briggs I have owned. Is there something else about this engine I should be looking for? There was so much gas comming out of that tube I'm wondering if there is more to look for. Any help or info about this engine will be greatly appreciated. Up until now this machine has run real well and did so when I ran it about a week ago. Thanks, Warren

Wow Warren - that doesn't sound too safe! Could you specify exactly what you are refering to when you say "tube from the crankcase". Do you mean the vacuum hose from the crankcase to the bottom of the fuel pump?

That would be the breather tube. See if there there is the strong smell of gas on the dip stick - if the fuel pump or carb went bad the crankcase may be full of gas. If that is the case do NOT run the engine - you need to drain the crankcase and repair the problem. Have a container ready to hold twice the normal capacity just in case and don't forget to refill the crankcase with 30 HD or you will have another problem! A Simplicity manual won't help you with this problem but you may need a B&S one for the twin cylinder - don't get the overhead valve manual. Jacks or Yetmans probably has them available for purchase online.

Jeff, I got the same feeling, I shut it off right away. I'm not sure if it is a vacuum tube, as you look at it from the front end, the tube goes from the engine block just inboard of the left cylinder and up to a hole in the air cleaner housing. I still haven’t gotten to the local dealer to order a manual for the tractor, it’s about 50 miles from work and just haven’t had a reason to until now, the thing has just run so well and the mower deck what was messed up when I got it. I didn’t know it even had a fuel pump, do you know if it is possible to order a manual on the internet? Thanks for the input and if there is any more info I can provide let me know. Thanks, Warren