Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

700 vs. 725 .....one more time

Simpleton

Previous post: Need help determining the difference between the Simplicity 700 and 725 tractors (besides horsepower). My bevel gears need "dentures" and I'm not sure if the tractor is a model 700 or 725 (no emblems). I ordered gears, seals and bearings from "Jacks" but based my order on a 725. Is there a difference?? Okay.....I've been able to remove the paint from the ID tag to reveal that it's a "MFG. NO. 990168 S/N 8798". How do I relate that to Model # and other info? Most importantly!! If it turns out to be a "700" will the "725" bevel gears that I ordered work? Thanks again to everyone

Based on the Maufacturer's Number, you have a Model 700! Congradulations!!! You should find that the engine is a Briggs & Stratton Model 19 Type 706035. The Serial number will allow you to determine month and year of manufacture. The BGB gears should be the same between those early years. I believe it was the later ones that had a larger shaft in the BGB.

Ron Go to this site and put in this # 990168 and download the manuals http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php#start

Thanks Kirk I was considering giving up on this this tractor but, it belonged to my father before me and there's a lot of sentimental value. Honestly, I couldn't afford to buy anything to take its place. Every winter I throw the chains on it and keep our driveway plowed (w/ simplicity blade). Occasionaly I have some problems with the external points and consider replacing the engine with something newer and more powerful. Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions