Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sicklebar Identification

PatRarick

A while back I purchased a bunch of parts from an Allis-Chalmers dealer that was closing. Among the parts was this sicklebar. I assume that it's Allis, judging by the color and the fact that this is the only brand that the dealer handled. Anyone know what it's for? I would like to sell it.

Dutch, it is 60" OVERALL in length. The area with the sections (17 3" sections) suggests a 48" cut. It measures 48" from tip to tip of the two outboard sections. I have heard mention of a sicklebar mower that uses sections in place of guards. Was that model a 48"? Did it use 3" sections? Pat

How about a 46" sickle bar. Simplicity made at least 6 variations 990210 being one of them, which would make more sense. Them pitman would thenhave a long enough stroke to get the cutting blade completely thru the blade guard for a clean cut.

Bob, the length of stroke has to equal the width of the sections. The sections have to be timed for a clean cut, meaning that the point of a section must line up with the tip of a guard at the end of each stroke. If you have 2 1/2" sections, you have a 2 1/2" stroke. A 3" sections would require a 3" stroke. Doubling the length of the required stroke would provide a cleaner cut, but the increase in stroke would have to be a multiple of the width of the sections. A partial increase would cause plugging as each section is would not be able to complete the shearing action. Pat

It's been a real long time since I cut hay. But I thought there was a slight overstroke to get the cutting blade thru the guard. I'm wrong, oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick
I have heard mention of a sicklebar mower that uses sections in place of guards. Was that model a 48"? Did it use 3" sections?
Pat, You may be thinking of the 1690030. It uses a ledger instead of rock guards. It is a 46" and uses 2" blades.