Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

progress report on B210, need advice on BGB

BrownA

Yesterday I separated the tractor into 2 sections. Today I removed the bevel gear box and pulled it apart. I was happy to say that it looked pretty good on the inside. The bearings feel a little funny like it's time to replace them. I had a really tough time getting the key out of the front shaft that attaches to the drive shaft. I ended up cutting a groove in it with a air wizzer then using a punch in the groove with a hammer to drive it out of the keyway. I still have to remove the bolt on the front shaft so I can pull the gear and bearing off. Right now I have had no luck loosening that bolt out of the end of the shaft. Is that a right hand thread or left ? Any suggestions on how to hold that shaft to remove the bolt. I already tried brass jaws in my vice but the bolt doesn't feel like it's going to come undone ? Thanks for any help, Al

Al, Instead of removing the bolt at the end of shaft,remove the bearing retainer plate,then the shaft,bearing and gear should come out as one unit. I can't remember wether or not the bolt on the shaft is lh or rh thread but once you have the assembly out you can put in a vise. If the shaft is to be reused be careful not to damage the shaft while in the vise. Good Luck

Hi Al, That is a right handed thread on the imput shaft. As for holding the shaft, the best way I have found is to clamp it in the vise with the keyway facing one of the jaws. It takes some patience to get that bolt out somtimes, the head of the bolt is kinda shallow so it can be hard to get a wrench on it. A six point socket works best for me. Just my 2 cents worth, good luck ^

I use the same method as Mike. Most I have removed had been installed with Loctite. They can be tough to remove, but they do come out. Pat

Heat will make Loctite let go. Just do not overheat & ruin the shaft heat treat (if any). It takes about 250 to 300°F for the Loctite to let loose if I remember correctly.

Hi all, a good way to make a quick jig for this is to take a shot bvb gear, grind off two sides parallel, then clamp this in the vise. use a new piece of keystock to hold the shaft in your new jig. It works well trust me, I have done this plenty. The old gear also holds the gear steady so you can get some umph on it. Neal

I just put a new key in the shaft and slid the cast drive shaft end back on. Then lightly clamp the cast end in the vice. As posted here before, end claw nippers (forgot the proper name) work great for removing keys. I wouldnt remove the end nut in the input shaft unless you have to.