Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord 101 need advice...

I have located a Landlord 101, mowing deck, AC snowblower, and front mount grader blade. Mechanically sound, *fresh* rebuild on original engine. Cosmetically, paint is very bad, minor surface rust, seat upholstry very torn up. The owner is asking $550.00 for all. Sounds a little high to me, but I want the thing. (For hobby purpose's only) I'm asking advice from more experienced Simplicity owners, should I pass on this one or keep looking? Thanks in advance...

Whether the tractor is worth $550 is subjectively up to you. I paid $900 for my Landlord 101 with mower, snowblower, and part of a snow plow. But it was in very solid condition with almost everything there, no serious rust other than surface rust. Living out west,(not many garden tractors in an arid area) the biggest draw was that I found it locally and didn't have transportation worries and costs. I have since bought other tractors in Texas and the midwest and paid as much or more to have them shipped than I paid for the tractors. A Landlord 101 is a great tractor! Jeff Snyder :D http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/mountain_magic.htm

Jim, Is it the heavy-duty, spring-loaded blade that you adjust in five different positions from the seat, or the snow/dozer that you have to pull the pin to adjust in 3 different positions? That could easily mean $75 - $100 difference in value... Assuming that it's the more common snow/dozer blade, and based on your location (wider availability of Simplicity tractors in the upper Midwest), I'd say that price is right at at the top end of the range. I paid that amount for my B-210 with the same set of attachments four years ago, in similar condition, in New England where they're more expensive. But, mine has hydraulic lift. IMO, if that tractor runs good, the bevel gear box is tight, the rubber is good all the way around, the attachments are all usable, and it's only surface rust... then it's probably worth $450 - 550 IMO. You might try talking him down a little, but you're not getting ripped off at his price... you just may not be getting a bargain. If you're just looking for one to restore, especially if you don't NEED all those attachments, you could could probably find a good running 101 with just a deck in the under-$400 range pretty easily. My opinions only, take them as only that....

Jim,I noticed you are from Michigan as well.I dont know what you are looking for but I know where there is a 64 Landlord with just a mower deck that I think the guy said has been in the family since new or almost new(can remember now).Any way I seen photos of it and it did'nt look to bad.The motor run but smokes.He is asking $200obo.He is located over by Fenton Mi. Send me a email and I will get you more details if your interested.

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
Jim,I noticed you are from Michigan as well.I dont know what you are looking for but I know where there is a 64 Landlord with just a mower deck that I think the guy said has been in the family since new or almost new(can remember now).Any way I seen photos of it and it did'nt look to bad.The motor run but smokes.He is asking $200obo.He is located over by Fenton Mi. Send me a email and I will get you more details if your interested.
Yes I am interested, I sent you an email. Thanks!

It doesn't sound to bad for price. When you look at the price of new replacement for this tractor, it's really cheap. You are paying right around $300.00 for the tractor and that cheap.

Tractors can be had cheap if you are in the right place at the right time. I have four garden tractors. two of which are running well and two that will run as soon as I can get to them. It cost me $200.00 for a sickle bar mower to fit on my wheelhorse 702. Did I mention attached to the mower was a whell horse 653 tractor?

Well, I bought the thing! It sure ain't purdy though. :) But that's ok, it's got character! It's MFG number, 990350, and the B/S engine is a 243431. The AC snowblower is a 36" unit MFG number, 2029938. It came with a 42" deck, and a 42" snowblade, and a set of tire chains. It does run good though, fresh rebuilt engine. It does need a few things though, but I'm *really* happy with it! :D My brother and I are planning on going to Rhinelander this year, so mebbe we can meet some of you folks! (We are counting on a good swapmeet too! ^)