Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1965 Big 10 Mower Cross Drive Belt Problem

JonHupp

Folks, I have 1965-66 AC Big 10 tractor with a 42 inch mower. I'm trying to replace the mower Cross Drive belt (from PTO to top of mower) and from everything I look up it should be a Simplicity 174911 (44.1 " long). Well, that is all well and good but this belt seems too short. I can stretch it from the PTO to the mower deck but it screws up everything (PTO belt then seems too long and the PTO idler pulley wants to run into the other PTO pulleys and nothing works right. Any thoughts. I'm pretty sure my PTO belt is correct (it was replaced in 1994, part number 164146). Thanks. Jon

Jon, I think you have the right belt. I used to have that problem when I commercial mowed with a Landlord 10. The tension spring should be set to compress the spring about 1/2 inch when the mower is engaged. Most of my problems were the flanges of the idler hitting the drive pulley. When it started showing up the pivot for the idler had egged out the holes on the PTO arm that it pivots in and let the pulley run at an angle. I repaired the holes and replaced the arm and the problem went away. The flanges on these pulleys sometimes straddle the v pulleys a little bit. You also may have the wrong PTO belt. I am not at the shop, but I believe there about 3 numbers used in these older tractors through the years, and it is common to get the applications mixed up. This ended when they went to the clutch. Good luck, Al

Jon, I use a Simplicity 174364 belt on my AC B12 with 42" deck. It is not the OEM belt for my tractor but it fits and I have had no problems running this belt. I don't remember if it is shorter or longer than the recommended belt. Tim

• 10 months later...
I've fixed the problem using some of the advice from other members: I use a 174364 belt for the Cross Belt (48.9 inches long, a bit longer than the OEM Belt) I use a 121398 for the PTO Belt (33.5 inches long, a bit shorter than the OEM Belt) This helps to make sure the cross belt does not rub on the large rod which connects the height adjustment controls on the 42 inch mower deck. I don't know why the 'correct' Big-10 belts don't work right, but these work much better better. I've had this tractor for 35 years and I sort of remember going through this same problem about 25 years ago.