Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Throttle-Governor Hookup

HubbardRA

Gentlemen, Just after Christmas, I was given a B/S 13Hp engine from a Homelite T13. It didn't have a head or carb. I now have both, but I am not quite sure how the throttle cable is supposed to hook up. The governor linkage with the two springs is there. I need to make the link from governor to throttle shaft, I know how that goes. I just don't quite see how the throttle cable attaches, and what the orientation of these linkages should be when all is hooked up. I can make something that will work, but I would like for it to be as close to original as possible. Anyone got a picture of this set-up? I need to see the throttle mounting, routing, and connection to governor linkages. Probably same as 12 Hp Simplicity with B/S.

Rod, It should look something like the picture on the left, from the Briggs 12HP Owners Manual: [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/300401/fig_5.jpg[/img] Here's where it came from: http://simpletractors.com/operation/300401/page_5.htm

Thanks Kent! This is exactly what I needed, since I don't have the carb linkage or the vertical rod and upper plate. Sort of hard to figure out without all of the parts. With this picture, I can make the needed parts. Bend a couple of plates, and make the linkages out of welding rod and I am in business. I guess I will have an AC 713, with the B/S or should I call it a 712. It is only going to have parts from about 6 tractors. Engine, shuttle tranny and rear, front axle, and dashboard from a Homelite T13, Frame from an AC 710 3 speed, hood from an AC 710 6 speed , rear fenders from an AC 716 or Simplicity 3310, steering wheel from a ???(don't know), rear wheels and tires from an AC 410, and starter generator from a Sears Suburban. Have to buy a new seat. There may be some more parts mixed in before I'm finished, but it will look like a 700 series AC for sure.

Dan, I don't own a digital camera, and will have to borrow one to do pictures. I plan to post a picture, when I get the frame painted and the dash mounted. Been too cold to do much painting. Too cold outside, and too orange for inside painting. Sorry that I am not as good at documenting my work like "Daddycat", but that is just me. I will, however guarantee to post pictures of the results. You will get to see the completed machine, and I hope everyone is pleased.

Rod, just dawned on me that the bracket that the throttle cable goes through is actually a piece of shrouding that directs cooling air past the valve guides. It is approximately 14 ga. sheet metal and bolts between the intake elbow and the block.

It is number 572. The hole on the right of the piece lines up with a hole in the blower housing and has a nut welded to the back. It slips up under the sheet metal head cover and goes down to just above the valve cover. Pat

Thanks Pat, Looks like I will need this piece for cooling, even if I don't use it for the governor link. I just checked out a 10 Hp. It has the links that are shown in Kent's post above, but also has an extra piece on the governor arm and a bracket on an engine mount bolt, with the throttle coming in from what will be the front of the engine on this mounting. That setup does not need the vertical rod. I'll also check out the shrouding on that one also. I appreciate everyone's help.