Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Guest" Messages -- How do we deal with them?

Kent

Kent, People are afraid of things they don't understand. If it's not to much trouble and doesn't break the club's budget, cookies are the way to go here. I'm assuming you're using FrontPage's canned discussion bot. Seems to work well. Keep up the good work Your freind, Guest[A href='http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_3957.html'][img src='http://www.cookiecentral.com/images/art_b.gif'][/a]

Kent, I do not like cookies and keep them turned off. However, just for the simpletractor club I would turn them on as Happy Jack does (accept only those that are returned to the sender). Thanks, Roy

We obviously have a "loophole" in the system. If the server times you out (15 minutes after you requested the last page) your message will be recorded as "Guest." Note that as long as you request another page from the server within 15 minutes, there's no problem.... We've come up with two possible "fixes," neither of which I like very much. I'd like your input... 1) Rejecting the message that you're trying to submit, preventing it from being recorded as "Guest" and making you log in again. We actually tried this one briefly and the problem was that we couldn't keep track of what you'd just typed. We want it, if possible, so you don't have to type it again. We haven't figured out an easy way to do this.... 2) Implementing an "automatic browser refresh/reload" every 14 minutes or so (before you session gets timed out). This would maintain your current logged-in session indefinitely, and you'd never have to log-in more than once per visit, regardless of how long you were here. We have a little program that will show you how much time you have remaining in your current login session down below, above the Windows Start button, and automatically reload your browser (requesting a new page from the server, and maintaining your session) at about the 14 minute point... But you may occasionally get "caught" with a partially typed message that gets erased when the browser reloads.... Another option would be to ignore the "Guest" messages and let it continue as is.... We have no control over the 15 minute limit. It is set on the server, so that your log-in expires 15 minutes after you leave the Clubhouse. This prevents the server from getting "bogged down" waiting on you all to return -- which you might not do for days.... The only other way we could address this is to use small programs called "cookies" like Yahoo and some other sites do, that are downloaded to your computer and reside there. These programs identify you to the server and keep the session open as long as you're connected to that server. Contrary to what your browser (Netscape 3.0) may tell you, we do not use cookies anywhere on this site, including the Clubhouse. (There are only some "error-checking scripts" that are run on the Join Club screen to make sure you've completed all the required info on the form.) Any input or reaction is appreciated....

I also nominate "cookies" and I like various kinds. To me a cookie that will identify me to the server and keep me logged in is fine.

I would prefer the Cookie approach. I have other 'restricted' sites I go to and the one's managed with cookies know who I am automaticlly and I never have to log back in unnless I am using a different machine. Thats my 2 cents - the cookie is Simple Solution for Simple trACtors.

I'm an oatmeal/raisin fan myself...Oh yeah, net cookies is fine by me too. It somtimes takes me 15 minutes to type a reply this short! Uh oh! Now everyone will vote the cookies out to keep me from being long winded ;o)

Boy do I love ginger bread cookies "hum good" so that sounds like the way I would go if I had a choice "Kent". Just let me know which setting I should put this thing on as now I will only accept cookies that are returned to the sender -if that makes sence. Thank You Kent and as always your doing a "GREAT JOB" and I really like the job you did on the club house and the new information on SimpleTractors. Boy your some janitor for sure >>->happyjack<-<<

Way to go Kent! If you ever get this site set up to where you are running out of things to do with it, you can teach a course on time management. I would be the first to sign up. I haven't even found time enough to get my first tractor in operation. However I did get layed off today, so maybe...

Looks unanimous. We'll start researching the best way to implement the fixes, using cookies. Perhaps we can easily give you a bit more "preferences" such as whether you want to see all Replies automatically, or not. We'll get on it! Thanks for your input! This site's for you....

grandpawrichard
Kent, You're doing a FANTASTIC JOB with this site! If you do decide to give classes on time management, sign me up too! Also for the cooking classes, I'd love to learn! Dick