Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

motor help for B-10 allis

DaveK2

last fall i replaced the points and condenser on my allis B-10. afterwards i tried starting and it turned over and still wouldnt fire. i went to a local repair place that was a briggs repair place and they said to repalce the coil and gve me a new coil that also replaced the poinmts and condenser. after that was installed it still would not start but would turn over. any suggestions?

when i got it in early fall.....it would turn over but would not fire...we thought the plug would do it, replaced it, and tried replacing the points anc condenser and thought that would get it going but no luck.it turns over without any problems.

Try taking off the black external wire on the point box. It's the ignition wire to ground, when grounded prevents a spark. Then see what happens. I am also assuming that you have correct armature gap and points are in correct.

dave when it turns over does it try to "fart" or does it spin over with no signs of life? if you indeed do have sparkcheck the fuel supply. Is there fresh gas in it, did the last owner winterize, if you never had it running it couod be varnish in the carb, Try taking the air cleaner off and giving her a shot of starting fluid and see what happens.

I had a 10 Hp B/S that set for a couple of years without running. It would turn over, but not start. Had gas and spark. I found an exhaust valve stuck open. I removed the valve cover, and worked the valve a couple of times with a screwdriver, until it loosened and would close. Been running great for the past couple of years. I've had a couple of other motors do the same thing when allowed to sit for a while. If it is not building compression, then this could be your problem.

• 4 weeks later...
hey gang....i thank you all for your help. i have decided to take it in and have someone who knows what they are doing with small engines work on it. thanks again...

Don't forget to check the plug gap/ try another plug and / or check that flywheel key- it might be sheared. Make sure that the nut holding down the flywheel is retightened to the correct torque when reinstalling the new key.