Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 Help

MrBones

Guys, the worst has happened. Well, maybe not the worst, but pretty bad at any rate. Apparently some water got into the crankcase as my engine seized up solid and when I pulled the dip stick out, it had ice and very little oil on it. I finally got the crankshaft free, but it is far from smooth. Do you think it is rebuildable or should I look for a replacement. It is a Simplicity 1986 6216 two cylinder. I would like to keep the tractor but I know the rear end it slowly going also. If I was to order a replacement, any idea where from and how much? I want to call Jack's here in PA this week, but I will hold off untill I hear from your input. Thanks for your help. I may be looking for a used Simplicity 6216. Wish me luck. MrBones

Sorry to hear of you misfortune. Was it sitting and just froze up, or you got it running and then it seized ? If it just froze up, take the engine off and set it somewhere warm for a few days with the drain plug out and it might be fine. If she was just frozen, she should be ok. However I'm the type who will beat the piston free in a seized motor and run it untill it goes kaboom. I've gotten a brand new 20 hp briggs for $400 on ebay from an individual seller, and have had really good results with small_engine_deals, who is a big seller of new engines on ebay. If you want to go cheap, the 6216 should accept a single cylinder briggs also, as the same frame was used in the 4212, 5212 etc. If nothing turns up, post again in a few weeks, as a buddy may have a twin briggs coming out of a machine that had a fuel fire. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Great news. It finally warmed up enough for me to look closer at my 6216. I put a pipe wrench above the lower pulley and turned a few times and something crunched and gave. So the engine seems to be fine and smooth. Sos then me pull off the starter and under the shroud, parts, parts everywhere. It seems the nylon gear on the starter was wore and bound and finally other parts broke and wedged against the flywheel. End result, replaced the starter and walla, starts and runs fine. What a scare though. Thanks for the offer Goatfarmer. I'm not ready yet. MrBones