Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RPM's During Snow Plowing

Tacey

This is my first year to push snow with my Simplicity 6011 (11 horse Briggs single cylinder). We've mostly had snows that were 4" or so in depth, & very light, fluffy stuff. I have been running in 3rd (high) gear with the throttle 'slow' to get good results. My driveway is concrete and mostly level. My question is...Does running at low RPM hurt anything? A co-worker of mine suggested that I am risking damaging the engine. He says that the single Briggs' are designed to run near full throttle for best results. It sure is easy on gasoline running it slow, plus I don't have to throttle-down to change gears. Any thoughts? Thanks, Tacey PS. I looked in the Owners Manual & it says nothing about best RPM's to push snow. Plus, I found nothing anywhere on this site.

Inquiring minds want to know. Im watching this one. If you have an oil cooler maybe it would be ok. work is heat higher rpms may reduce the effect of a load .

Tacey These engines are designed to be run at full RPM but lower engine speeds will not harm them in the winter where they get ample cooling. You are not running any PTO powered attachments so there should be no problem. Most attachments should be run at 3/4 to full throttle with maybe the exception of a sickle bar mower.It needs to be run at a slower rpm. Most powered attachments perform the best at full throttle and adjust the ground speed to conditions.

You can see the recommended operating speeds for an Allis 700 Series 6-Speed at this link. It shows approximately 3/4 throttle for a snowplow... http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/speeds_gear.htm

As long as the engine is running fast enough to provide ample power, there should be no danger in running at slow engine speeds speeds during the winter. The cold temperatures will almost eliminate any danger of overheating. Pat

What took so long for a reply, guys? ;) I had seen that 3/4 to full throttle was the recommended setting for most jobs. I had been running that way for most of this winter. I just happened to try the 'slow' setting once, and I was amazed at the power of that little Briggs (!). I burn a woodstove 24/7 thru the winter, so I've been hauling lots of logs with the old Simplicity. It goes uphill, through snow & ice, all with just chains. I haven't bothered with any extra weight. Still goes, with power to spare. I usually just putt along in third gear with low throttle there, also. The air temp has been plenty cool this year. We are on pace for one of the coldest January's on record here in Western PA. The Briggs never seems to get very hot. For that matter, it never does anything wrong. Uses NO oil between changes. Starts right up every time. Easy on fuel. Not bad for a 25 year old... Thanks for the input. Tacey

My Landlord has 6 foward gears. I run motor 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in 3rd or 4th gear when doing drives. When I clean my street in front of my house I running motor wide open in high gear. Dale

It was mentioned above, and now I would like to know what the correct RPM is for a sickle bar mower. I would rather use a tach than try to figure out what third gear at a fast walk means.

Rod, Once you start using the sickle, you'll be able to tell. If RPM is too high the sickle will start to shake violently. The plantetary sickles can use a higher RPM because the gear reduction is 3:1.

If you run the sickle mower much above idle you will have parts flying.Like Dutch said you will know when it is to fast.Keep it slow and keep it going.Bob

Thanks guys, I will not get a chance to try it till spring. It is rebuilt, but not painted. Weather is not cooperating. Too much orange paint to spray inside my small garage. Painted a couple of pieces inside and now everything is covered with orange dust. This will be mounted on my 61 Wards which currently has a 14 Hp Kohler. With this much more power than the mower was originally designed for, I wanted to make sure that I kept the RPM below the limit. Especially since I just completed re-riveting all those cutting teeth onto a new drive bar, because the old one had been broken from overspeeding.

The sickle bar manual for mine says adjust the throttle to "no more than a fast walk" speed when in top gear........ lol

Thanks, Kirk, That is also what my manual says. I was just wondering is anyone had a specific RPM associated with that. Since I have one of the vibratachs, it is very easy to just set the throttle to the right RPM and not worry about it. After hand riveting all those teeth onto the new bar, I have no desire to do it again, especially if the reason the bar breaks is because of too many RPM. I,m not really worried about it. I mowed with sickle mowers when I was a kid and never broke one. It is mostly common sense.